Montana Programmers Message Board Montana Programmers Discussion Forum › Would like to chat with Java expert in Bozeman

Would like to chat with Java expert in Bozeman

A former member
Post #: 2
Hi All,

I have an opportunity to pursue a dream job, but to do it well I have to learn Java, which I've never used before. To ensure I learn as efficiently as possible, I'd like to find a Java expert in Bozeman with whom I can occasionally chat/ meet for coffee, who can help to guide my learning. If you're interested in being my Java "mentor", or know someone who might be, send me a private message to let me know. I would be eternally grateful.

Best,
Nick Bentley
Shawn W.
lannocc
Billings, MT
Post #: 10
Hi Nick,

I am Shawn in Billings. I know you said Bozeman but if you ever want to chat via email or IRC (#mtprogrammers on freenode) I would be glad to give you some Java pointers. I have been using Java for over 14 years, mostly server-side for webapps and client/server data feeds. Granted, I haven't explored many MVC frameworks over the past few years but I'm not sure if that matters to you. I find it can be a great language and I really do not miss the days of C/C++!

Good luck!
-shawn
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks Shawn! I'm currently in the early stages, writing little bits of code to understand the basics. But it will get complicated fast, as I need to learn how to write some involved learning algorithms (like genetic algorithms). I'll send you a PM when I start having questions.

Thanks again,
Nick
Shawn W.
lannocc
Billings, MT
Post #: 12
Sure thing, Nick! Don't hesitate to send me a message if you have a question or observe a curiosity while learning Java.