Join Paul Zizka and yours truly, Christoph Fischer, on a photographic trip of a lifetime to the breath taking mountain majesty of the Canadian Rockies. Helicopter in to the spectacular, unspoilt wilderness of Assiniboine, Canada’s Matterhorn, capture the night sky over snow capped mountain peaks, and their reflections in pristine turquoise waters, photograph rushing rivers, towering waterfalls and wildflower covered alpine meadows with some of the world’s most beautiful mountain ranges as a backdrop. This is a trip and learning experience you are sure not to forget!
Where: Canadian Rockies, Alberta and British Columbia, Canada
When: July 12-19, 2014 (7 days)
Costs: $2150 ($750 Deposit)
Class Size: 12
Instructors: Paul Zizka and Christoph Fischer
A land that needs little introduction, the Canadian Rockies are a landscape photographer's dream. The opportunities for photography are endless, from still, turquoise colored lakes, rushing rivers, towering waterfalls, deep canyons and wildflower filled meadows, to soaring, snow capped mountain peaks and beautiful night skies. As if the Rockies themselves were not spectacular enough, we have hand picked for you one of the most breathtaking backcountry locations the Rockies have to offer. Join us on a helicopter ride - during which you have the opportunity to gaze in awe at the jagged, never ending mountain ranges - into the backcountry of British Columbia's pristine, wild and utterly beautiful Assiniboine Provincial Park.
We meet Saturday July 12th at 16:00 at the Juniper, our hotel in Banff, where we have the opportunity to meet and get to know one another. Paul and I will give you an overview of the activities for the following days and answer any questions you may have. This will be followed by a presentation, dinner and our first sunset shoot! After our sunrise shoot and breakfast the following day, we are off to catch our helicopter ride
into the pristine, breathtakingly beautiful mountain wilderness of British Columbia's Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park. We will camp at Lake Magog over which towers by 1,525 m Mt. Assiniboine, the "Matterhorn" of North America. In the mornings you have the opportunity to capture the alpenglow on beautifully shaped Mt. Assinboine, reflected in the still waters of surrounding lakes. During the following 2 full days, we will hike and explore the snow capped mountains and wildflower filled valleys of what surely must be one of the crown jewels of the Canadian Rockies. For our sunset shoots we will embark on longer hikes along mountain ridges, capturing the last light of day on some of the most awe inspiring scenery this planet has to offer. This will also be our first opportunity for night photography, and if we are lucky, we may even glimpse and capture the aurora! We will return to our campsites in the dark, with the stars and the camaraderie of our group keeping us company along the way. On Wednesday we say farewell to Assiniboine as we catch our helicopter ride back. During the three days that follow we will be exploring the pristine turquoise colored lakes, towering waterfalls, rushing rivers and canyons, and, of course, majestic mountains of the Canadian Rockies. Since we want you to get the best photographs in the best possible light, the locations we visit are not fixed and Paul and I will choose those which promise the best light, given the current weather conditions. Paul lives in the Canadian Rockies and knows this area like the back of his hand! That being said, some of the locations we will make a special effort to cover include Peyto Lake, Moraine Lake, Castle Mountain and the Vermillion Lakes. As part of your learning experience, our itinerary on most days will include presentations by Paul and myself which will help you to reach a new level in your ability to capture the incredible beauty that surrounds you.
Your Learning Experience:
Paul and I will give several presentations and tutorials which will empower you to develop and express your artistic vision, as well as improve your photographic technique and postprocessing skills. Some of the technical topics to be covered include:
• Shooting in RAW.
• Understanding your exposure histogram and exposure bracketing.
• Focus, Depth of Field (including focal blending) and sharpness.
• Night photography, especially techniques to minimize noise and achieve full Depth of Field.
• Effective postprocessing skills, including exposure, focal and color temperature blending.
There will be some moderate to more strenuous hiking involved in the backcountry of Assiniboine Provincial Park. Some of the hikes will involve elevation gains of 365 m (1200 feet) or more, involve rocky terrain, and will take 4.5 hours or longer. We will also be spending some of our time hiking in the dark (before/after sunrise/sunset). A moderate to high level of fitness and some hiking experience thus is required. Each participant must complete and sign a standard liability waiver and medical form before participating in this workshop.
Your payment includes:
• Double occupancy lodging for 4 nights at the Juniper Hotel, 3 nights camping in Assiniboine Provincial Park.
• Return helicopter flight to Assiniboine.
Your payment does not include:
• Flights/transportation to our hotel in Banff.
• Gas and costs of renting a van for the group, if necessary.
• Food and Drinks. Our hotel offers a group rate $25-30 three course dinner menu, and group discounts on breakfast and lunch.
What to bring:
• Digital SLR Camera.
• Memory cards and batteries.
• A quality, stable tripod - your tripod legs should not be fused to the center column.
• A solid tripod head which allows for easy adjustment of your camera's position.
• A set of lenses, especially wide-angle, but also telephoto.
• A laptop with installed Photoshop, or other editing software, for our processing sessions.
• Head lamp with red light for walking at dawn and dusk/night.
• Clothing, hiking gear and camping equipment: A detailed list will be supplied upon registration.