addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Mountain Communities Group Message Board › Need Trees? States Gov't Seedling Program for Bareroot (links)

Need Trees? States Gov't Seedling Program for Bareroot (links)

Debbie S.
user 11701018
Aguanga, CA
Post #: 167
Prices as low as $38 for 100 bareroot seedlings (plus shipping).
http://www.tcpermaculture.blogspot.pt/2012/09/seedling-trees-from-your-state.html­
Debbie S.
user 11701018
Aguanga, CA
Post #: 169
Brian
user 37036572
Anza, CA
Post #: 10
It says "no good information found" for California!!!
Debbie S.
user 11701018
Aguanga, CA
Post #: 174
CA does not have a seedling program but other states do and many including KY will ship here.
A former member
Post #: 53
I'm puzzled here as well by the reference to a site which sells trees but not in California. Then why post this here in a discussion site dedicated to the Anza/ Aguanga and surrounding communities ? Here is a link to the Cal-Fire State Forestry Nursery program which was a great resource for several years before it shut.

Cal-Fire State Nurseries

It really would be a pity if they remained closed for good, but I think most of the problem is that they have run extremely low on good seed sources which have been decimated by decades of drought and megafires. Below is an article I wrote about pooling a number of local neighbours who purchased bareroot trees from LA Moran Reforestation Nursery. Only on property succeeded because they did the tree planting the proper way. NEVER clear all of your Chaparral shrubs. They protect the land and trees can be planted in between carefully thinned chaparral which will act as nurse plants. ALSO, it is imperative to inoculate them with a good mycorrhizal fungal mix which will remain on the tree roots for life and increase nutrient and water absorption by 200%, even during low rainfall years. DO NOT keep your trees on drip more than two or three years, wean them off and allow the mycorrhizal fungi to interact which the surrounding plant community. Belwo is a success story that will work anywhere in and around the Anza area.

Establishing a Forest where the Experts said it would Fail

The L.A. Moran Reforestation Center can be reached at (530) 753-2441 for information about cone and seed processing, seed availability for approved projects, and private nursery resources.

-
Debbie S.
user 11701018
Aguanga, CA
Post #: 181
Here in the U.S.A. we have a Post Office and UPS Service and the seedlings are shipped to California. Many residents in Aguanga and Anza have property that need trees and especially are interested in trees that produce nuts and fruit for wildlife and for themselves at an affordable price. This is what the various gov't state run seedling programs are designed for..to re-forest and encourage property owners to do so. Price a pecan or walnut tree lately at a nursery? These are small seedlings that can be purchased for less than $1/tree. Also, can buy shrubs and even native grape vines. You can purchase as few as 10 to 100 tree bundles. I think it is very, very useful information and I've been extremely happy to find this resource and used it last year and re-ordered more trees this bareroot season. This is why I posted the information to help share a wonderful resource available to us all in Aguanga and Anza.
Debbie S.
user 11701018
Aguanga, CA
Post #: 182
This season, I have ordered Persimmon, Hazelnut (filberts), Pecan seedlings from KY Program. Also, I ordered Native grape and Sand Plums from another state program. Last year, we planted Chestnuts, Chinkapines (like a small filbert) shrub, Black Walnut, Mulberry. All from the state seedling programs. There are many oaks, pines and fast growing trees like Black Locust also available.