|Sent on:||Thursday, January 5, 2012 8:23 PM|
Happy new year to you all, I hope you had a good time and are looking forward to 2012.
Although I've not been here I heard that the weather's been pretty grim during the holidays and the trails are in a sorry state so here's your chance to do something about it!!!
The club has been approached by Mugdock Country Park (MCP) Rangers and GMBC about a co-ordinated approach to trail maintenance.
In summary, the Rangers would be very happy if the existing trails within MCP didn't get any worse (ie. maintain the status quo) despite poor weather and increasing use. They are willing to try out different techniques to achieve this but they also want to do this in a
planned and organised fashion so we know that we're making a positive difference.
To give you an idea the overall approach is to:
* identify the problem areas/trails
* survey them in more detail
* draw up a plan of work for each of the problem areas/trails
* organise the trail maintenance days (labour, materials etc)
* conduct the trail maintenance days
* monitor the trail conditions to see what's worked and what hasn't
* plan any remedial or follow-up maintenance that's needed and keep monitoring to see how it goes
What they are looking for now are volunteers to form a "core team" to help get
the trail maintenance activities up and running.
So what's involved as part of the Core Team? Well, initially at least.......
* to draw up a list of trails/areas that need maintenance work
* to prioritise this list to direct the efforts of the trail maintenance
* to receive training from MCP on trail maintenance techniques and share
this with trail maintenance volunteer workers
* to participate in more detailed trail survey work, providing ideas on
how to improve the trail (drainage, routing etc)
* to be willing & able to "lead" small teams on trail maintenance work
days during Spring & possibly Autumn
* to discuss how best to approach maintenance of trails outside MCP (eg.
* to promote responsible riding
The rangers are looking for people who are genuinely interested & committed to making
a difference to the trails and especially anyone with previous experience
in trail maintenance/building. Ideally the Core Team would be about 10
people representing a range of different mountain bike groups, so from
Meetup we'd be looking for 3 or 4 key people perhaps. GMBC will also be involved. If you are interested in representing Meetup on the Core Team then please drop me an email as soon as possible as we want to start the initial work in a few weeks time (see dates below).
If you want to participate but not as part of the Core Team then that's fine too. If you can let me know you're interested and I'll be in touch with more details closer to the time.
MCP were keen to get some dates into their calendar so they can plan their
shifts and ensure they have Ranger(s) available. The dates agreed with
MCP are as follows:
Sat 14th Jan - initial Core Team & MCP session - training & trail survey work
Sat 11th Feb - trail maintenance work day for everyone
Sat 10th Mar - trail maintenance work day for everyone
Sat 24th Mar - trail maintenance work day for everyone
* Consider if you want to participate on the Core Team or as a trail
volunteer then let me know
* Mark the trail maintenance sessions in your diary
* Let me know if you have access to any useful resources eg.
tools/equipment, materials, anything else you think may be useful
I hope if you are a regular user of the park that you will try and make it along to one of these sessions at least.