add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Mountaineering, Climbing & Backpacking Of New England Message Board › Spring backpacking trips in Andirondacks

Spring backpacking trips in Andirondacks

Vartika S.
user 39319582
Sunnyvale, CA
Post #: 2

I was wondering if anyone has back packed in the Andirondacks or Catskills regions in spring time. I am trying to look for a weekend backpacking trip, and want to in that particular area, but do not have much information about it. I am looking at the guide book and online resources, but it will be useful, if someone has first hand experience and give a few tips.
Jay B.
user 14472233
Group Organizer
Dracut, MA
Post #: 50
V, I have the maps and I think I have a trip or two typed up.. Just not found the time to actually do the trip.. If this helps let me know...J
user 3135826
Boston, MA
Post #: 163
Have hiked there some and have some books on the ADKs you're welcome to borrow. Looking to get out there for some backpacking in the fall.
Michael B.
Pepperell, MA
Post #: 275
Have done quite a bit of summer and fall backpacking in the Adirondacks - it's pretty muddy in the summer so can't imagine how messy it would be in the spring. I tend to enjoy them more than the Whites and they are great for backpacking - there are plenty of lean tos and tent sites scattered throughout the area.

What type of trips are you looking to do - Different spot each night or stay in the same place each night and day hike from there? Looking to climb a bunch of peaks or just relax?

I think the best books are the ones put out by the Adirondack Mountain Club - there are a few for the park because they focus on different areas. I focus my time around the high peaks so that's the book I have. Would suggest two maps - the National Geographic one is good and easier to use than that map put out by the ADK but their map shows where all of the tent sites are where's the NG map only shows the lean to sites.­­

Feel free to send me an email if you have any other questions. I love it out there and would love to get more people out there. Usually do a summer and a fall trip and have started to do winter trips too.