Mountaineering, Climbing & Backpacking Of New England Message Board › Rumney Rocks Rattlesnake Mountain Campground closed for 2014

Rumney Rocks Rattlesnake Mountain Campground closed for 2014

Alex G.
abgershaw
Malden, MA
Post #: 17
I just called the family that runs Rattlesnake Mountain Campground, and they anticipate that the climber's campground across from the Rumney Rocks parking lot will be closed this year to camping. This is too bad, because this is the only campground where you could walk from your campsite to the climbing rocks; other campgrounds in the area require you to drive to the Rumney parking area and compete with all the other climbers who fill up the lot.

I would like to lead some Rumney weekend camping and climbing outings; but I'm not sure where the best place to stay is. There is the Common Cafe right in Rumney center, but it's more like a hostel and not a campground, and it can't accommodate a large group. Other decent campgrounds look like Mountain Pines Campground which is only $10 per person per night, and D Acres which is printed on the back of the Ward Smith Rumney guide books.

Any thoughts on a good, cheap campground for a group?

Does anyone have any suggestions about where we should camp as a group for a weekend Rumney trip?
Jay B.
user 14472233
Group Organizer
Dracut, MA
Post #: 58
Hey Alex.... Bummer.... They where not very friendly anyway.. I don't like giving money to people that don't want me there anyways... I did a event at that location many many years ago and at 9:30 Dusk in the middle of the summer they kicked us all out cause they felt like it. All paid and proven insurance and cause someone had some words with the male owner they kicked 32 people to the road... Partying had not even started... Most bizarre thing ever...

I and couple other organizers have been using Baker River Camp ground.. They have showers etc and sell campfire wood....

http://bakerrivercamp...­

Super nice folks and a bit flexible which is good for our group...

Let me help you with posting or give me a call first.. There is some pitfalls with posting Rumney Meetups 978-764-3852

Cheers...
Jay
Alex G.
abgershaw
Malden, MA
Post #: 18
OK I should call you soon. I noticed Bob Griffin used Baker River once; their website says their rates are fairly expensive for a campground, around $31 for a site that accommodates "2 adults and up to 3 children," so this would be $15.50 per adult. I suppose it would be OK to pay the $8 extra per night for the privilege of showers and a flush toilet. Do they have special group sites too that are cheaper?

I didn't really have any problems with the Rattlesnake Mountain Campground; some groups are fairly noisy in the evening, but they are usually the ones located in the far back and the family doesn't seem to mind them. The campers closer to the front need to be quieter. But this year, they will be busy kicking people out who think they can camp there.
Jay B.
user 14472233
Group Organizer
Dracut, MA
Post #: 60
Bob up till last year mostly used Baker River Across the street is always better.. but its just not a option this year... Give me a call when your read... Its aready written up just have to copy a past Meetup and post it for when you want to have the Meetup...
Cheers....