This area offers a great lesson in the dynamic nature of a Cascades volcano. The biggest threat facing this trail is the fact that the Kautz Creek valley has been flushed by floods repeatedly over the years, with the most recent scouring being the winter 2006 flood that not only rearranged the trail but took out a section of the road. Repairs were expected but weren't begun at the time of this writing, so before heading out for this hike, be sure to contact the ranger to ensure the route has been rebuilt and reopened.
- Mt. Rainier -- SE - Longmire / Paradise
- Longmire Wilderness Information Center
- Roundtrip 12.0 miles Elevation Gain 3100 ft Highest Point 5600 ft
- Mountain views
- Green Trails Mount Rainier West
- No. 269 and Green Trails Randle
- No. 301
- Driving Directions:
From Tacoma, drive east on State Route 7 to Elbe, then veer left onto SR 706 to enter the park at the Nisqually Entrance near Ashford. Continue east toward Longmire. Park at the Kautz Creek parking area on the south side the road, just after crossing a bridge and culvert.
- National Park Pass Required
- Please don't forget gas money for drivers!
Please read our guidelines for participation (found on the discussion board). Then RSVP 'yes' and acknowledge that you have read these guidelines and will abide by them. Thanks.