Munich Skeptics in the Pub Message Board › Skeptics Study Group

Skeptics Study Group

Christian S.
user 8353551
Madrid, ES
Hello Skeptics,

having a beer with all of you is always great fun, and I'm pleased to see such a vital group of skeptics having formed so fast.

Now I would also like to further deepen my understanding of skepticism and science in a more focussed way, and therefore establish a skeptics study group, weekly or every two weeks.

Here's what I have in mind, just for example:

At the moment, I study two chapters of Popper's "The Poverty of Historicism" for my thesis on legal theory, 1. "The Method of Reduction. Causal Explanation. Prediction and Prophecy" and 2. "The Unity of Method" (In natural and social sciences).

I could summarize them in a 20-minutes presentation, then we'd  discuss our thoughts and questions.

Other topics I really need to learn more about is probability, Ockham's razor etc. One thing I should probably mention is that I'm skeptical about "climate change" as well as government planning (which makes me a "market-radical") - just bc my experience not so much in our group but generally is that some skeptics, especially in Germany, have serious trouble with such attitude.

Having said that, is anyone interested and ready to invest some time and effort? We can also talk about it tomorrow, I'll be there anyway.

Best regards,

Christian