align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

You can organize this Meetup!

This Meetup no longer has an Organizer.
Without an Organizer, it will disappear from our website in 3 day(s).

You can join this Meetup and become the Organizer.

Music Makers of New York Message Board › Song to discuss

Song to discuss

Alex F.
user 62296432
New York, NY
Hi guys - I wasn't able to attend the group this past week, but 2 weeks ago I volunteered to choose the song that the group will analyze, and I've decided on 'Otherside' by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Two weeks ago we got into a discussion (about the song I presented, actually) about clearly communicating a message/idea with your lyrics, and being careful not to lose that message in lyrics that are overly abstract. To me, the Chili Peppers have pretty abstract lyrics, but they seem to be successful at communicating a message given how popular they are.

Does Otherside communicate a clear message/idea/theme to you? If not, do you like it anyways, and why? If so, what does it communicate to you, and how?

Looking forward to Wednesday!