N Languages in N Months NYC Message Board › Please Suggest Languages for Future Meetups

Please Suggest Languages for Future Meetups

Pierre de L.
delaray
New York, NY
Folks,
We have already scheduled new languages for June and July.
At this point, Richard and I would like members of this group to suggest languages that they would like to see covered by the 7-Languages meetup group.
We will take all of your suggestions and setup a poll on the meetup website and we will the use the results of the poll to decide which languages to cover and in what order.
I will initiate this process by suggesting the following 3 languages:

Javascript
GO
Idris

Thanks,
Ray

P.S. I've also posted this message to the group's message board. If for any reason you cannot reply to this email, please feel to post your suggestions on the message board for this meetup on the MeetupHQ website.
Andrew L.
andrewleung
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 3
Hey Ray!

Put me down for Javascript & GO.

Some other languages I'd love to hear about are ones that are related, like Prolog & LISP (where both are logic languages but Prolog was developed in Europe and LISP in USA) or even compliments (C being very machine oriented and ... LISP for more human oriented) - having some overarching theme between them.
Marimuthu M.
mmhelloworld
Jersey City, NJ
Post #: 1
Hi,
I can't wait for Idris session and also Instead of JavaScript, a language like Elm would be awesome.
David B.
user 75725482
New York, NY
Post #: 3
== Elixir ==

CoffeeScript:JavaScript :: Elixir:Erlang

But with a macro system that creates pseudo-homoiconicity, much like the reifying macro systems of Template Haskell and Haxe.

== Elm ==

Talking about Haskell, I would also like to see an Elm session.

== Haxe ==

And, why not a Haxe session, even tough ECMAScript languages do not extend people's minds in a positive sense.

== Felix ==

Finally coming back to life again; a very ambitious project, a real FP language completely integrable with C.

== Pure ==

The cleanest (pun against Clean? ...) rewrite system language I know of, and with super-simple FFI to C libraries. Really nice!

== Rust ==

The only intriguing "regular curly-braced language" of recent, since it does compartmentalize the memory meta models properly, basically allowing one to think in Java/C# terms or in C++ terms for any given object. They take it all the way, compared to C# which only allow you to break through the overwhelming comfort of GC Land by stating that "I have no idea what is happening in here, so let me be!" via an 'unsafe' keyword.

The interesting aspect of these languages is that they combine theoretical beauty + fun + *actual practical use* by targeting a stable, scalable or at least ubiquitous execution platform and doing so in an almost seamless manner, yielding access to tons of predefined libraries. I put an indicator for each language of its "functional beauty/purity", where 0 means Applesoft BASIC, 1 good ol' C, and 10 means Haskell.

Elixir [7] -> BEAM (Erlang...)
Elm [9] -> JavaScript
Haxe [3] -> JavaScript (and C++, ActionScript, JVM, CLR...)
Felix [6] -> C and C++
Pure [8] -> C
Rust [5] -> C

I am prepared to back up this desire of mine by actually holding session(s) in any of these languages.

Regarding Go, I don't see what such a language adds to one's cognitive apparatus, given skills in Java/C#/C++ since there are no interesting aspects in it, except at a meta level in that a big company happens to back it. But it is just grumpy mini me talking now.
David B.
user 75725482
New York, NY
Post #: 4
Talking about Idris, by the way, should we look into Agda as well? I do know Agda fairly well but know nothing about Idris. Will look into it and see how it stacks up to Agda.
John W.
user 4027784
New York, NY
Would be great to have a session that covered TeX/LaTeX if it suited the group focus.
A former member
Forth, perhaps
David B.
user 75725482
New York, NY
Post #: 5
Would be great to have a session that covered TeX/LaTeX if it suited the group focus.
Actually a great idea. I have tried to get away from LaTeX, but no avail. What I have used recently, though, is Pandoc, which is an extension to Markdown, generating both LaTeX document and HTML sites from the same source. So, perhaps a session about "programmatic editing" could be of value, including Pandoc, Markdown and LaTeX?
Andrew L.
andrewleung
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 4
I second LaTeX.
A former member
+1 on Go

ML / OCaml, Perl, R, Fortran, ALGOL