Nashville Slow Ride Message Board › Should we Rate the Best and Worst Bike Shop in the Nashville area

Should we Rate the Best and Worst Bike Shop in the Nashville area

A former member
Post #: 28
I just had what I think was a bad experience when I had my Bike tuned up. Perhaps I am not justified in feeling the way I do, but then again maybe I am. Well I hope I am now ready to start enjoying my bike again but this experience has prompted me to post this thread.

We all have different levels of experience with bike riding, maintenance and repair. Most of us can check the tire pressure and tell if the bike is operating differently than usual. However for me my experience is limited to patching tires and cleaning the dirt & mud off. Seems to me since we all have bikes that need professional attentions once in a while we should be spreading a positive word and supporting the good shops and warning members and the public about the bad ones. So as not to be to subjective we should also have some sort of guild-line to help member know what to expect when they go in for a tune up or repair.

Here's a question, because bikes parts for the most part are completely accessible, when a Tune up is performed should the bike be cleaned to ensure it is free of foreign debris as part of this service? Things like the chain, cables, mechanical moving parts etc. I would think this should be SOP as part of the tune-up service. However I don't think every bike shop sees it that way.

This is a basic Check list I got off the Internet. I left the name of the shop on the checklist to give them credit.

BICYCLE BASIC TUNE-UP CHECKLIST

Provide By: Kent Denham of Guthrie Bicycles

224 North 2nd Street
Guthrie, OK 73044
405-282-8524

Wheel Systems:

[ ] Hubs adjusted to not be tight or loose.
[ ] All hubs locknuts secured.
[ ] Hubs inspected for bent axles and external evidence of internal problems.
[ ] Rims trued laterally to .5mm tolerance or better.
[ ] Rims inspected for damaged or other work needed.
[ ] Tires checked for proper wear and damage, proper mounting, and inflation.
[ ] Wheels mounted in proper alignment and secure.
[ ] ALL DONE
[ ] SEE NOTES: Problems in need of further attention.

Drive Train System:

[ ] Bottom Bracket fixed cup secured.
[ ] Bottom Bracket adjusted to not be tight or loose.
[ ] Bottom Bracket inspected for external evidence of internal problems.
[ ] Crank arms securely mounted.
[ ] Chainrings bolts secured.
[ ] Wobbling chainrings aligned.
[ ] Pedals securely mounted.
[ ] Chain inspected for wear and lubricated if necessary.
[ ] Freewheel inspected for wear and lubricated if necessary.
[ ] ALL DONE

Steering System:

[ ] Headset adjusted to not be tight or loose.
[ ] Headset locknut secured.
[ ] Headset inspected for external evidence of damage, wear, or loose cups.
[ ] Fork inspected for damage.
[ ] Stem inspected for proper depth insertion, alignment, and secure.
[ ] Handlebars inspected for damage, proper alignment, and secure.
[ ] ALL DONE

Brake System:

[ ] Brake calipers checked for mounting security.
[ ] Caliper arms and pivot/mounting bolts checked for damage.
[ ] Adjustable brake pivots adjusted for no play or binding.
[ ] Pivot nut/bolts checked for secure.
[ ] Brake caliper lubricated at pivots, springs, and cable adjuster barrels.
[ ] Brake pads checked for wear and replaced if more than 50% worn.
[ ] Brake pad height set so as not to rub tire or hit partially below rim.
[ ] Pads set tangent [parallel] to rim.
[ ] New pads set with .5mm to 1.5mm toe to reduce squeal.
[ ] Pads clearance set to 1mm -2mm per side [except MTB type].
[ ] MTB pad clearance set so that when the pads contact the rim the lever clears the handlebar by a minimum of 1 inch.
[ ] Brake levers set to proper alignment and secure.
[ ] Brake level pivots, cable anchor pivots, and cable adjusters lubricated.
[ ] Cable removed and inspected for rust, frays, and kinks in the inner wire and housing.
[ ] Housings sized to proper length and ends finished with filing and end caps where fit.
[ ] Cables lubricated wherever they pass through housings.
[ ] Cable system stress tested by pulling brake lever fully to handlebar a minimum of ten times.
[ ] Cable end finished with cap or soldering.
[ ] Rims cleaned of lubricants and road grime.
[ ] ALL DONE
[ ] SEE NOTES: Problems in need of further attention

Shift Systems:

[ ] Rear derailleur removed and hanger checked for proper alignment.
[ ] Rear derailleur pivots, cable adjusters, and jockey wheels lubricated.
[ ] Rear derailleur inspected for damage and worn jockey wheels.
[ ] Rear derailleur mounted securely.
[ ] Front derailleur checked for proper mounting height and rotation.
[ ] Front derailleur checked for proper secure mounting.
[ ] Front derailleur pivots lubricated.
[ ] Derailleur cables removed and inspected for rust, frays, and kinks in the inner wires and housings.
[ ] Housings sized to proper length and ends finished with filing and end caps wherever they improve fit.
[ ] Cables lubricated wherever they pass through housings when appropriate.
[ ] Cables pre-stressed.
[ ] Chain length checked.
[ ] Rear derailleur limit screws set to allow shift to largest and smallest sprockets.
[ ] Rear derailleur checked for over shift at all gear combinations.
[ ] Front derailleur limit screws set for minimum clearance of the derailleur cage to the chain in high and low gear.
[ ] Front derailleur checked for over shift at all gear combinations.
[ ] ALL DONE

Miscellaneous:

[ ] Frame checked for damage.
[ ] Seat post checked for allowable minimum depth of insertion.
[ ] Seat post secure mounting checked.
[ ] Seat checked for proper alignment and secure mounting.
[ ] Accessories checked for mounting security and interference with moving parts or safety hazards.
[ ] ALL DONE

Test Ride:

[ ] Brakes checked for stopping power and squeal.
[ ] Bicycle checked for tracking problems.
[ ] Derailleurs checked for performance and over shift.
[ ] Chain and freewheel cogs checked for skipping under load.
[ ] Bicycle checked for unusual noises.

Notes: List of problems that could not be repaired and/or are in need of further attention;

I am sure some of you may have different Ideas on this matter. To me Bike shops are not a cheap trip to the candy shop anymore. They charge a lot for their time and We should demand that we get what we are paying for. As a group and individually we should also look for group discounts and fair service .

My Bike was not even test ridden and only stand tested after they tuned it up. I know this because I received the its ready call one evening and I went the next morning to pick it up. The front tire was out of air when they brought it out from the work area. So I was ask to wait. The Bike Seat was much higher because they adjusted it to fit the bike stand and never returned it to where I had it set. If someone tested the bike they would have had to be significantly taller than me at 6'2". Also the bike shifters were only partially cleaned although they were supposed to have been cleaned up and made operable. Apparently only from the inside. I am not stating the shops name at the moment but will not use them again. My Tune up was $45 and I paid an additional $50 for cleaning up my shifters, replacing shifter cables, & Truing one wheel, a inner tube.
ANY comments?
Kendall
user 9559512
Nashville, TN
Post #: 17
Tom, you make many good points. I had a wheel that went to three local bike shops before somebody actually knew what they were doing. My experience is that there just isn't a lot of long term experience in the service areas of bike shops (lot of turnover, etc..). As with many stores, somedays you get treated better only because of whom might be working. Currently there is a lot of change going on in regard to Bike shops in Nashville & Franklin; this should be a welcome and positive change to all of us.

For the large majority, cycling is a hobby - and this meetup was created for such. This meetup/site provides a great opportunity to network (public & private) about bike related information. Rating bike shops is not part of our mission; frankly - we need sponsors, this web site costs $$. That fact that you didn't "call-out" the mentioned shop of which I agree should have test ridden your bike, I know you understand what Im trying to say.

Thanks for sharing the checklist, a good resource for everyone. I have had my share of bad experiences also, but there are a lot of good experiences I and many others can discuss. Please continue to post & seek assistance.

k.