NCTech4Good Message Board › First In Families of North Carolina needs iPads, tablets and laptops

First In Families of North Carolina needs iPads, tablets and laptops

Peter M.
user 13074170
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 1
I provide administrative and technical support for First In Families of North Carolina, a non-profit serving individuals with developmental disabilities and their families. We have many requests iPads, tablets and laptops from our clients; far more than our funding allows us to fulfill. For many of our clients these are desperately needed and life changing pieces of technology. Does anyone in the group have ideas of where to get donations of hardware for refurbishment and redistribution? Thank you for your attention.
Judy H.
judy_hallman
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 128
Peter, Try Teaming for Technology, United Way of the Greater Triangle -- http://www.unitedwayt...­
Peter M.
user 13074170
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 2
Thanks, Judy. I actually volunteer there from time to time as a tech, but we are looking more for direct donations that we can refurbish in house. While the T4T computers are very affordable, we still can't keep up with demand and, unfortunately, because of the growing need for their services T4T does not always have the inventory available that First In Families' clients require. We can do the work ourselves if we could only get a steady supply of machines.
Judy H.
judy_hallman
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 130
Peter, Could you use an Acer Aspire One, CPU N270 1.6 GHz, .98 GB RAM, free space 4.2 GB of 7.5 GB? I think it's in good shape. Very little software on it and it runs reasonably fast. I can't get wireless to work and don't know why. Internet works fine on Ethernet.
Peter M.
user 13074170
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 3
We can absolutely use an Acer Aspire. I can think of a number of families our organization serves that could benefit from such a nice little notebook. What is the OS? And how can I get it? Thanks!
Judy H.
judy_hallman
Chapel Hill, NC
Post #: 131
Great! I think it can be a good machine if disk space is kept pretty clean. It's running Windows XP. I see you are in Chapel Hill and so am I. Let's arrange pickup using direct email.