Be our guest! Experience a Toastmasters meeting, with us, the North Delta Powertalkers. There's no fee to be a guest.
As a guest you can simply observe, or you can participate.
The meeting begins at 6:45 and ends at 8:35, with a 10 minute break.
Here is how a meeting goes, all of the rolls below are filled by members. The idea is to give everyone the opportunity to get up and speak at every meeting, and to give members the option of increasing their participation incrementally by taking on smaller rolls in the beginning.
- a member will act as Chairperson for the meeting. This person creates the agenda, manages the meeting, and and ensures the meeting stays on time.
- various other members will perform various rolls; Timer, Jokemaster, Wordmaster(introduce a word and encourage its spontaneous use in speeches), "Ums" Master, and so on.
- Table topics-20 minutes- This is a time when members can practice spontaneous public speaking. A member chairs this portion, asks questions relating to the nights theme, and 4-5 members are encouraged to stand up and give a 1-2 minute speech in response. It is voluntary, but also a terrific learning tool, and very popular among the members.
- we have a 10 minute break halfway through for coffee, cookies and cake.
- the second half of the meeting begins with a toast, delivered by the nights Toastmaster(club member) who then conducts the prepared speeches portion of the night.
- three prepared speeches(occasionally 4) are delivered by members. each will be from 5-10 minutes in length.
- designated members will deliver speech evaluations designed to help each of the three speakers to get both positive and constructive feedback they can take to their next speech. Another excellent learning tool, public speaking plus the art of delivering criticism in a positive, helpful way.
- hear the summary of the rolls mentioned earlier in the meeting(Wordmaster, Umsmaster, Timer)
- hear a general evaluation of how the meeting itself was conducted
- the Chair wraps up the meeting.
Members are encouraged to choose prepared speech topics with broad appeal, and they do. We hear remarkable things about the experiences of our members, from growing up in in Nepal to entertaining as a magician on a casino ship on the Yangtze river to the joy of mentoring students towards rewarding careers.
Come visit. Take on a new challenge and come support others doing the same thing.
Oh, and there will be snacks!! Sign up here and lets us know if you will be coming, it helps with chairs, drink mugs, and general setup.
Doors open at 6:30, meeting starts at 6:45, wraps at 8:35 sharp.