addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

New England Microsoft Developers Message Board › The Transportation Bill contains a tax on all Computer Consultants!

The Transportation Bill contains a tax on all Computer Consultants! Please Act Quickly.

Andy N.
anovick
Group Organizer
Sudbury, MA
This is something of concern to us all.  If you've ever been a consultant or think some day you might want to or have to be a consultant, the Transportation Bill is a big problem.  Please read and act by contacting the Governor as soon as possible.
The Transportation Bill sent to the Governor by the Legislature contains a new tax on computer services. This is at the rate of the current sales tax of 6.25%. The Governor has sent this bill back to the Legislature with changes. I’m not sure what the Governor has said about this provision. See the link below for more details.
http://www.taxrates.com/blog/2013/07/02/massachusetts-transportation-plan-would-tax-computer-services/­.
This provision is very bad for the computer software industry and the Massachusetts economy in general. It is important that this provision be removed from the final bill. I am sending this to everyone I know in the computer field. I urge you to write or call the Governor’s office, your State Senator and your State Representative.
If this part of the bill becomes law it would have a negative effect on the Commonwealth. We are a high-tech state and this bill would put Massachusetts firms at a competitive disadvantage. This would be unfair to people who make their living as computer consultants as they would essentially have their income taxed at an additional 6.25%.  This would be a tax on top on the 5% state income tax they already pay. This is grossly unfair. This provision singles out computer consultants. For example, legal services and general business consulting are not taxed. This is unfairly burdening one profession.

Governor’s Office http://www.mass.gov/g...­
State Senate https://malegislature.gov/people/senate­
State House of Representative https://malegislature.gov/People/House­

Regards,
Andy
A former member
Post #: 4
Thanks for having your ear to the tracks, most of the work I get is in MA, so I wonder if my voice as a CT resident can be heard too, since MA is where I am normally taxed.

Some one should call Robbin Hood
David R.
user 27205862
Walpole, MA
Post #: 1
It is said you deserve the government that you elect.
If you did not vote or voted for big government, you have nothing to complain about.

Don't be so naive to think that all of "full time, professional" lawmakers even read the bill. It's a transportation bill. We all are in favor of transportation, right? So why read into the details?

This may be an intentionally veiled attempt to thwart offshoring, but we all know that it will only accelerate it as companies look to squeeze the tax out of service cost reductions.