NE IT Pro Community Leaders Message Board › Best Practices: Improving YOUR NAME Brand

Best Practices: Improving YOUR NAME Brand

Dan Stolts
ITProGuru
Group Organizer
Lakeville, MA
Post #: 8
Send an Email Post a Greeting
What can you do to improve your name brand and why should you care? Improving your name brand increases your marketability and likely increases your pay. It increases the opportunities that find you and increases your feeling of self worth. There are many reasons to focus on this and many ways to improve your brand name. in this discussion thread let's share ideas on this topic.

I will start the discussion off with ... my first stab at answering the question of what you can do to improve your name brand.

1) Figure out what you want YOUR NAME brand to be!!! Ok, I am not suggesting that you change your name. Rather, I am asking what type of reputation do you want to have. Do you want to be known as the class clown? The Technical Guru? The Know-It-All? Jack of all trades master of ONE? <-- Notice I did not say Master of NONE. Once you figure that out, talk to people that have done it and get advice from them. Keep working at it and do not give up.

2) You want to become known for something. being a generalist or becoming known as a generalist is not a bad thing but being known as an expert at something is much better. Find something you are passionate about and become an expert at it.

3) Once you become an expert (or even while you are becoming an expert) you need to share your knowledge. The absolute best way to share knowledge is to teach others. By planning on teaching others you actually learn better. If you know you have to teach someone your mind does a better job of learning it because subconsciously you know you will have to share that knowledge. Then the act of teaching actually embeds the knowledge deeper into your mind so you know it better.

4) The more times you teach and the more people you teach the more you are improving your brand name. In the beginning you may slip up or feel you did not do a great job. It is ok. Everyone has to start somewhere. Stick with it and keep learning. When you do teach, just make sure you are prepared to the best of your ability and take it seriously. Remember, you are not only using your time, you are using (or potentially wasting) the time of all the people you are teaching.

5) Care about other people and help other people wherever possible. The more people you help get what they want the more you will get out of life. Clearly we cannot spend all day every day just helping other people but make it a point to every week or on whatever schedule you can handle to help someone else with something. In a very short period of time you will find that not only have you helped them but you have helped yourself feel better about life and you have improved your name brand.

I was going to stop at 5 but I had to add two more because they are just so vital...

6) Get Blogging!

7) Get Published!

More on these later

Please... Give us your thoughts!!!
Richard Harbridge
user 9020553
Medford, MA
Post #: 1
The best way to improve your name/value is to improve the name/value of the people you admire, respect, or are colleagues with or by improving the name/value of what you are exceptionally talented at.

Either of these things result in you needing to get involved with it considerably and ensure that if you 'get a strong name brand' it is the result of honest, caring work and not focused on individual/self achievement.

Not sure if everyone agrees with that. But I am hoping it's true. :)
Bill Wilder
codingoutloud
Needham Heights, MA
Post #: 2
Think about your CAREER as separate from your (current) JOB. Of course, be a great teammate and employee, as this is a key part of your brand, but here are a few things you can do outside of your day job:

• Attend community events: Get to know folks so you can establish a personal bond. I've been able to get to know a bunch of really cool people through attending community events.
  • Start a blog: All you need to do for starters is write for an audience of one: you.
  • Give a talk: Speak at a Code Camp on a topic that interests YOU and you know (or are willing to learn) SOMETHING about - and suddenly! tada! - you start to look and feel like an expert.
  • Be yourself: When you speak or post on your blog, start with topics YOU found useful (just solved a problem, for example) or interesting (show your passion).

Most things on this list can also be done WITHIN a company. That might be an easier place for some folks to start: post something useful on an internal wiki, host a lunch-and-learn on that new fangled HTML 5 stuff, or demo a useful dev tool (e.g., ReSharper).
Dan Stolts
ITProGuru
Group Organizer
Lakeville, MA
Post #: 9
a strong name brand' it is the result of honest, caring work and not focused on individual/self achievement. Not sure if everyone agrees with that. But I am hoping it's true. :)

I absolutely agree!
SB Chatterjee
sbc111
West Hartford, CT
Post #: 2
Here is the book I mentioned in our meeting yesterday. It is considered to be a 'marketing classic' and will help your branding standout in a crowded field. It's available on Amazon (a used paperback edition literally goes for a penny).
Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind
http://www.amazon.com...­
Bill Wilder
codingoutloud
Needham Heights, MA
Post #: 3
I mentioned this online article from a 1997 issue of Fast Company: The Brand Called You by Tom Peters.