addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

NJ Acoustic Music in the Park Message Board › And speaking of practicing too much...

And speaking of practicing too much...

bob c.
Bobcole
Hillsborough, NJ
Post #: 162
Thanks to John Montalbano for the interesting article about cubital tunnel syndrome; I do play a lot and recently have been experiencing consistent numbness and tingling of the pinky and ring fingers of my left hand; I think I may just get it checked out!
charlie p.
user 14169483
Morganville, NJ
Post #: 11
hi bob -
it's not just hands and fingers -
i get back spasms on the right side of my back when playing either standing or hunched over my guitar - i've been told by orthopedists and phys therapists that its related to posture and strength (and i'm right handed . . . thus the right side) -
we have a tendency to lean and/or hunch over our guitars when we play - (and our computers) -
we need to try to sit up straight (hard to do when you've been playing like this for years) -
and we need to increase core strength -
also, i've had that numbness/tingling in the same place for years - but it's pretty mild and sporadic so i ignore it - never thought about it being related to guitar playing - but - ? - probably just a nerve pinch -

so it may not be practicing too much as much as not being in shape and lousy posture -
who ever thought i'd have to stay in shape just to play guitar? - crazy -

hope this helps -
and i hope everyone stays well and dry -
charlie
bob c.
Bobcole
Hillsborough, NJ
Post #: 164
Sit up straight? You can't do that! How do you sing into the sound hole then? What are those people thinking? It makes perfect sense, though, especially for us addicts...
Phil V
user 8380752
Hightstown, NJ
Post #: 29
Also having the neck up ( See shredders like Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, EVH, or classical players)

Pointing the neck upwards enables the wrist to take a more natural position.