NJ Acoustic Music in the Park Message Board › tablet recommendations

tablet recommendations

charlie p.
user 14169483
Morganville, NJ
Post #: 16
looking for recommendations for a tablet-like device primarily for music - PDFs and music charts and guitar playing apps -

other uses would be a bonus, but given that this will suffer the risks of travel, etc - price is a consideration -

please be specific about recommendations, preferably from personal experience -
make and model, configuration (memory, storage), expected cost, particular apps, accessories, (best type of stand, best protective cover, etc) and source (where and when did you get it?) -

thanks in advance for any and all comments -
Stuart J.
user 39961882
Red Bank, NJ
Post #: 1
Charlie, it may seem obvious but I think the iPad still makes the most sense. I was introduced to the whole concept through this group, and have been completely satisfied with its performance. These days I think you can still purchase new iPad 2's at a discounted price and I don't know of any compelling reason to recommend a 3rd generation model over 2nd gen for this application. Between dropbox app, unreal music app, and .pdf support I think you've got all you need for viewing song charts, tabs, and building setlists.

BTW at home, I have itunes on my PC based system, but purchased appleTV and connected it to my home theater. Quite easy to view, play and listen on the big screen and control either from the apple TV remote OR my ipad attached to my music stand. Great for practicing by playing along with my buddies Neil, Keith, Jackson, Waylon, and of course Jerry and Bob, even if they can't make the time to stop by.

Finally, to attach to a stand there are several options - placing it on the standard tray for a music stand being the simplest but least desireable. I use the Showclip which is a clamp that attached to a standard music stand and allows you to position the ipad as you wish. It works great and I've had no problems. I was cautioned about breaking the post that creates the universal joint for positioning, but I would simply say don't tighten the set screws too much...not ever, and then you can easily adjust the angle as desired without having to reach behind the device.

I actually have my showclip mounted on my music stand post BELOW the music tray, so both can be mounted at the same time. I can put music sheets on the tray and control the surroundings with the iPad, or bring up music files and view/play from the iPad. And if I want, just pull the tray off the top and only use the iPad. Quite handy.

Anyway , I'm really happy and it shows by how much I'm writing. I'm not really active in the group lately...just a little too far to get to in the busy winters. There are others in the meetup group that can absolutely get you started with the apps - better than I could. Reach out and I'm sure they'll lend a hand in return...

Stu
Stuart J.
user 39961882
Red Bank, NJ
Post #: 2
PS - My recommendation and practice is always get the most memory you can. Someday you'll need it.
FiL
FiLw
Franklin Park, NJ
Post #: 245
I agree with Stuart. I am not an Apple guy, but the iPad is excellent for this application, especially when combined with the Dropbox and Unrealbook apps. I got the 16GB iPad2 a bit over a year ago specifically for NJAMP, and I couldn't be happier.

I have an iPad holder (made by Griffin) that attaches to a mic stand. It's held up for the past year, but it seems somewhat flimsy, so it's probably only a matter of time before it breaks. I got it because at the time there weren't many choices, and this was the only one I could find that could rotate from portrait to landscape mode without unscrewing the whole assembly. I think there are many more choices now.

- FiL
charlie p.
user 14169483
Morganville, NJ
Post #: 17
i'm not an apple guy myself . . . but it may be the best alternative -
however, with all the newer inexpensive droids out there, i just wonder if one might make sense, especially given the risks of traveling with it -

thanks - these are just the kind pf practical comments that i was hoping for - please keep them coming -
Mark T.
MarkToman
Readington, NJ
Post #: 15
OK Here is what I did recently. I got a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 inch Tab 2 tablet with the Android system. This is my first Android (I have an ancient flip phone [think beaming up]) and I am still trying to learn how to do everything as I come from Windows. It came with programs that read the .pdfs just fine (Polaris Office is like Office and one can also use Kindle, but I prefer the PO for this stuff). I added Dropbox and that is all we need for NJAmp. I open Dropbox, open the NJAmp folder and just scroll up and down to stab at the song and it just opens with PO. Then I use the back button to get back to the Dropbox list for the next song. Easy as cake.
Mark T.
MarkToman
Readington, NJ
Post #: 16
Oh yeah, Internet. It has a browser just like a computer so calling up charts and stuff over the net is right there as well as long as you can connect.
Joe H.
user 10401699
Bridgewater, NJ
Post #: 74
I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy 2 10.1 and couldn't get it to connect to my home network. It would connect okay to open networks (I tried it at Rolf's), but not to my WEP protected network at home. Had to send it in to Samsung for a repair (just last week, still waiting to get it back).
Have you had any similar problems?
Stuart J.
user 39961882
Red Bank, NJ
Post #: 3
I've had my iPad over a year, and I used to think I wasn't an Apple guy either, but now I have a phone, iPad, and the above mentioned Apple TV (which I only really use to play music from my computer system or iPad/iPhone over TV - I didn't buy into all the movie and services that are SOLD through apple TV...that really can be a bit of a rabbit hole once you enter...but I digress).

I just looked at Amazon...seems the iPad 2 16GB/Wifi (no 4G wireless needed for my use - that adds a lot of cost and the need for another data plan on your wireless carrier) and the Samsung 2 10.1 are within about $50 of each other. So it means you probably need to decide which path you prefer. I'm something of an accidental Apple guy, but I've been happy. We all know people who feel very strongly one way or the other, so I won't tread into that area here.

Also - when it comes to a clip - be SURE you get the dimensions right. The first Showpad I bought was for the original iPad though the guys at Guitar Center told me it would work, but the iPad 2 was slightly smaller. Didn't fall out, but certainly wasn't snug. Guitar Center let me return it when I showed them and I bought the proper one through Amazon. I don't know if there are any dimension changes with iPad 3 or eventually 4.
Joe G.
jguzzo
Annandale, NJ
Post #: 5
I have been using a Lenovo tablet for quite some time, and recently bought an iPad. Although the Lenovo product did a good job, the Apple is more responsive and easier to read. It also connects to WiFi more reliably. I recommend that you spend the few dollars more, get the Apple product. If you have a music stand or microphone stand, you can buy the clip to mount the iPad on that stand.