addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

NJ Acoustic Music in the Park Message Board › posting song suggestions

posting song suggestions

jim
user 8203581
Perth Amboy, NJ
Post #: 13
I think it would be easier if those who have attended our meetups, and are familiar with what we have been working on, would suggest (post here) 2 - 6 new songs that they would like the group to work on at the next meetup. This way we can all look at the tabs before the meetup and each bring a copy of the tabs . We could be ready to work on these new songs as well as bring the tabs from the songs we have already worked on . This should help us to have a more organized meetup. Any thoughts, pro-con ?? thx, jim
Alan Z
user 9374016
Group Organizer
Bridgewater, NJ
Post #: 6
To make it easier we can use the site www.chordie.com as a source for our chord sheets. The quality is generally pretty good and the chords are usually over the correct words. It has the added advantage that there is a drop down box on the right hand side of the page that lets you transpose the song to another key.

When you pick songs pick ones that are type CHORDS not type tab TAB. The CHORDS sheets are more suitable for use in a group setting. Of course feel free to learn all the fancy licks from the tab so you can take the solo breaks.wink

The site also has the ability to group songs into custom songbooks. We can use this when newbies come along we can point them to what we've been working on.

Now, Somebody suggest some song.
stan
user 3591425
Bridgewater, NJ
Post #: 1
hi, things did not go well in basking ridge but thats ok. what songs are you working on? and how late do you stay in the park... Stan
A former member
Post #: 6
what about posting the link to the acutual chord page. just in case if there is more than one version.
Alan Z
user 9374016
Group Organizer
Bridgewater, NJ
Post #: 7
Here some song suggestions:

Down on the Corner by CCR

Dead Flowers by The Rolling Stones

It's Still Rock & Roll To Me by Billy Joel

more to come later

bobjones
user 6615718
Hackettstown, NJ
Post #: 5
Greetings,,,

The other meet-ups I've attended are successful in part because they "post" to the files section and use it...
if you want to bring a song to the group...that's where you put it...If you you are late posting, make and bring
enough copies for the group.

One of the group uses the "theme" approach: next meet-up the music of Bob Dylan, Neil, or early Beetles...it really gives it focus.

I'm new to this group, I anticipate someone has already started a discussion of where you are going to get together when the weather changes..

thanks
looking forward to it...
bobjones
stan
user 3591425
Bridgewater, NJ
Post #: 2
hi Alan good songs..what key should we be practicing in..Stan
Alan Z
user 9374016
Group Organizer
Bridgewater, NJ
Post #: 8
Here's a few more:

Help by the Beatles

As Tears Go By by the Rolling Stones (ignore the Bm chord, sounds wrong to me).

America by Simon and Garfunkel

Stan: The song are links to chord sheets. Practice them in the keys you see when you click the link.

Bob: I have posted some songs to the files section. Some of us have been bringing copies of songs to the meetings. Themed meetups are a good idea. We have talked about the the cold weather issue, but don't yet have a solution.

A former member
Post #: 1
I'm collecting a group of what I think are acoustically suited songs from a variety of 60s-70s artists. I'm sure there are already versions of some of these floating around in various member's binders. I'll pick some and bring multiple copies for the next meeting. If we all do then we're good to go. Just try to keep the genres varied. Thanks, Alan
Alan Z
user 9374016
Group Organizer
Bridgewater, NJ
Post #: 9
Could you post your list here when you get it together or even better links to chord sheets so people can get familiar with the changes ahead of time.