NJ Acoustic Music in the Park Message Board › Playing the "Cajón"

Playing the "Cajón"

Alan Z
user 9374016
Group Organizer
Bridgewater, NJ
Post #: 17
In the last couple of months both of my kids mentioned to me that they attended concerts with a percussionist playing a box that they sit on and getting some really nice grooves going.

Time to investigate. I looked around the web and discovered that the instrument is call "Cajón" which is spanish for drawer or chest. It's an instrument used in Peruvian and Cuban music. It has more recently been used in Spanish Flamenco music.

The instrument is thought to have evolved from slaves who no longer had access to traditional African drums playing rhythms on whatever boxes they could find.

The instrument is capable of imitating a snare, tom and bass drum is portable and fairly simple to construct. I have some woodworking skills (but not too much in the way of drumming skills). I was thinking about building one for use during our acoustic meetups.

To see what I'm talking about do a search in youtube for many demonstrations.

Anybody have any thoughts or interest?
stan
user 3591425
Bridgewater, NJ
Post #: 3
hi i have been around a few cajon players and there are several types. some with fixed snares, some with adjustable snares, cajon bongos, cajon congos, and one guy made a cajon djembe. and after seeing your table, i do not think you would have trouble making one.
FiL
FiLw
Franklin Park, NJ
Post #: 3
Alan, it would be a cool addition to our sound! But do we have anyone who can play it?
Alan Z
user 9374016
Group Organizer
Bridgewater, NJ
Post #: 20
I am happy to report that I have built a workable Cajón. I'm pleased with the bass drum sound. The snare sound still needs a bit of fiddling around to be right. I think we can work it into our ensemble.