addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

NJ Acoustic Music in the Park Message Board › Sub Groups?

Sub Groups?

A former member
Post #: 13
I was talking with a few of the members of the group and the idea came up about breaking up into smaller groups to perform certain numbers. People would pair up in smaller groups and play a few songs from the set list, then the next group would perform. The ultimate goal would be to go and try to play some open mics. I belong to a few other musicians groups and this format works very well. The group as a whole would play some tunes and then the smaller groups would play and then finish out the night with the whole group playing together again. I thought I'd run it up the flagpole and see who salutes it.
Tom
user 11716931
Plainfield, NJ
Post #: 7
I was talking with a few of the members of the group and the idea came up about breaking up into smaller groups to perform certain numbers. People would pair up in smaller groups and play a few songs from the set list, then the next group would perform. The ultimate goal would be to go and try to play some open mics. I belong to a few other musicians groups and this format works very well. The group as a whole would play some tunes and then the smaller groups would play and then finish out the night with the whole group playing together again. I thought I'd run it up the flagpole and see who salutes it.

The Key word here is Perform and I know it happens to all of us the shakes and shivers when we get up in front of people Bob has a good Idea !!! I beliieve it will enhance the group as a Whole and give everyone an opportunity to try out there stuff. Maybe I can even get Sister Golden hair right this timesmile
Alan Z
user 9374016
Group Organizer
Bridgewater, NJ
Post #: 52
I'd be willing to try some solo performances or smaller ensembles, but I'd like to keep the main focus of the group to be group performance. I'd prefer if we were to intersperse the solo/small ensemble performance in between group songs. So we as a group perform 4 or 5 songs and then have a small group perform a song. This would allow about five or six smaller group performances a night and keep everyone involved for the entire evening. I particularly would like to see if anybody can come up with some arrangements with tighter more complex harmonies (think Beatles, Beach Boys, CSN, etc).

I'd prefer to stay away from long improvisation jams, since those are generally only fun for the person playing and not for anyone else. They are also difficult to hear in an acoustic instrument environment and their exists other venues for exploring this type of playing.
A former member
Post #: 14
I think Alan nailed it!! I agree with the idea of working on the harmonies within a smaller ensemble. With twenty people singing at the same time, some of the songs we play miss the harmonies. I also agree that this group is not the venue for solo improv. If it's done properly, it's enjoyable for everyone. Good music is just that, good music whether playing it or watching someone in the groove and really feeling the music, but as Alan has said this isn't the group for that. That being said I look forward to trying this out and see where it goes. As a struggling musician, I always try to push my boundaries and explore new things to help improve my playing. I think this could be a good thing!! Thanks for being open to the idea Alan.
Tom
user 11716931
Plainfield, NJ
Post #: 9
Did Alan say HARMONIES thats got to be the most pleasing sound to my Ears. Thanks Allan I agree.
I also agree that the main focus is for all to be comfortable beginner to expierienced. and that the group does well by having the main set list and everyone playing and singing.. I think Joe Made a good point that when we do songs and the volumes are balanced The group sounds awesome. I noticed that in quite a few songs we did on Tax day
Regards
Tom
Joe H.
user 10401699
Bridgewater, NJ
Post #: 14
Another advantage of small groups is that a couple of members could learn a song together and then teach it (by performing it) to the rest of the group. There are some songs on our list that we don't do that often because not everyone knows the song. This would be a good way to introduce some new songs in a more formal way (instead of just starting to play something arbitrarily in between songs on the setlist).

It might also be a way to introduce some originals (how do we feel about original tunes?). I've got a couple that I'd like to hear in a group setting.

But I also agree with Alan that the focus for our meetups should be on having the whole gang play together for most of the evening; that seems to be the best way to keep everyone involved and interested.
bob c.
Bobcole
Hillsborough, NJ
Post #: 12
I think the sub group idea has lots of merit, but I would very much agree with Alan that we shouldn't stray too far from his and Jim's original concept for the meetup...I am all for trying to work up some open mike stuff, and would LOVE to hear some original music if anyone has some they'd like to share... I also think that we should try to at least select some pieces that allow the more experienced and capable musicians to "let loose" and show their stuff. I do think that the guys who started the whole thing should hold the steering wheel, though.
Tom
user 11716931
Plainfield, NJ
Post #: 10
Going Back to Harmonies Again. I have a question Do we have anyone in the group that is knowlegeable enough to Lead the whole group into a 3 part harmony song. I have some knowledge not sure if I have the capability of guiding the whole group though. Maybe they can take and divide the whole group into 3 and teach us into perfect Harmony. That would be awesome and everyone partakes and no one is left out

Regards
Tom