NJ Singles (ONLY) Hikers/Adventurers, Ages 50+, for hiking/adventures/exploration/socializing/activities/freindships.
ALL MEMBERS ARE EXPECTED TO ATTEND AT LEAST 4 ACTIVITIES/EVENTS/HIKES AND PAY $5 YRLY. DUES IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN YOUR MEMBERSHIP. Meetup will automatically delete members who are not active after 6 months/or have not pd. dues * EVENTS/HIKES ARE NOT PROFESSIONALLY RUN AND OFTEN NOT WELL-KNOWN BY MEMBERS WHO POST THEM INCLUDING MYSELF (ORGANIZER). We do not necessarily have a sweep at hikes unless someone volunteers. YOU MUST BE FLEXIBLE/NO CRITICS ALLOWED. PLEASE BRING/CARRY AN EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBER WITH YOU. ALL EVENTS ARE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND BY JOINING YOU ARE AGREEING TO THIS PREMISE. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VARIETY/NEW EXPERIENCES BY POSTING AN EVENT/HIKE. HIKES ARE EASY TO MODERATE, 3 TO 4-8 MILES LENGTH. **IF YOU PREFER MORE STRENUOUS ACTIVITIES/HIKES, CAN'T HANDLE A LITTLE UNCERTAINTY, ARE NOT OVER 50, OR UNATTACHED THEN OTHER MEETUP GROUPS MAY BE MORE APPROPRIATE FOR YOU (OR YOU COULD START YOUR OWN). POST EASIER HIKES/WALKS IF YOU PREFER.. SINGLE GUESTS OVER 50 ARE ALLOWED (BUT NOT BOYFRIENDS/GIRLFRIENDS).
It is important to keep your RSVP up to date, so change it if you decide to not come afterall-THAT WAY WE CAN KEEP AN ACCURATE COUNT. Anyone who "repetitively" does not do this to a significant degree will be deleted from the group by myself without further notice.
I AM ON MANY HIKES AND MY PHONE (908) 917-7291 WILL RECEIVE CALLS ONE HALF HR. PRIOR TO THE EVENT IN CASE YOU ARE CLOSE BY AND WE CAN TRY AND HELP YOU WITH LAST MINUTE DIRECTIONS. *THE GROUP WAITS 10 MINS. AFTER POST- TIME, BUT USUALLY NO LONGER. FOR HIKES ALWAY BRING ENOUGH LAYERS, PROPER FOOTWEAR, LIQUID/NOURISHMENT AND A EMERGENCY CONTACT #.
IMPORTANT: CHECK FOR ANY CANCELLATIONS (RE-SCHEDULES) PRIOR TO LEAVING YOUR HOME.
NO CRITICS ALLOWED!!!! AGAIN, FLEXIBILITY REQUIRED. AND, LET'S HAVE FUN!!!! No kids/no pets.
Please take a few minutes to read BELOW also so you really understand who we are! You are responsible for getting yourself to the activity site-give yourself plenty of travel time, especially if the venue is new to you. AND, CARPOOLS CAN BE ARRANGED DIRECTLY WITH ONE ANOTHER OR SOMETIMES A CARPOOL MTG. SITE IS POSTED.
Great opportunity to meet some nice, fun, people--don't miss out!! Just show up-THE REST IS EASY!
- Bring your own snacks, drinks, comfortable slid-resistant footwear/hats, water proof clothing, bug spray, sunscreen etc. Hiking shoes/boots for the hikes are best. Personal Emerg. #
- Anything worse than a light rain will cancel the official/"posted" hike, but hey "it's a free country"-so if a hike is "officially" canceled by the organizer (or the person who posted it)but some members decide to go anyway-that's fine. People can do all/part/or even add some length to the original posted hike. ***At least 3 people need to be present for an event, especially a hike to proceed. So, posters please cancel if this is not the case.
- It's a good idea to not allow anyone to be left alone-if someone gets too tired, or you begin to fall behind etc./please let someone know/we can take turns accompanying/staying back with that person, but if you wish someone to stay back you need to let us know-we are not babysitting-and we do not assign "official" sweeppersons. You can also bring a friend to help you if you like. Just try to be mindful of all safety issues. Bring index card with your name/name and phone #of 2 emergency contact person(s)to keep in your pocket on each excursion and/or have an ICE # on your cellphone (not in your car where we can't get at it). *And, again, if you need to take a rest, just let us know-it's happened to us too!!! And some other group members will likely welcome the rest. I know I always do. :)
- The group generally decides when to stop/break and for how long and thus far-this seems to have worked out well. No serious injuries/incidents yet! Noone in particular is responsible for leading the hike, or as a sweep unless they choose to lead/sweep. AGAIN, Please let someone know if you are falling behind.
- ENJOY!!!!! ENJOY!!!!ENJOY!!!!
- Meet-up will keep track of when your $5 yrly. fee/notify you? unless you mail it to me/OR GIVE IT TO ME IN PERSON (IN ENVELOPE WITH NAME ON IT) and then I will mark you pd. If you don't see it marked within a week or so-alert me (don't think I've missed marking anyone yet). Mailing address is: Pat Medallis, 706 Bermuda Dr. Branchburg, NJ 08853. Very occasionally, some venues have a small entrance fee. If carpooling, each passenger should give the driver their share of cost gas/tolls/parking (if any) for the round trip.
- YOUR SAFETY IS YOUR OWN RESPONSIBILITY! AND YOUR SIGNING UP TO JOIN WILL SERVE AS YOUR AGREEMENT.
- Looking forward to meeting each and everyone of you! Let's all do our part to keep this a supportive/HEALTHY positive-no pressure event!!!! Again, No criticism please. ;)
- While most of our current active members are from Central NJ, we’re really interested in exploring North and South Jersey as well. We encourage members from North and South to join us and post hikes/activities in your area or ask someone else (inc. myself) to post a hike for you. IT'S VERY EASY TO POST. We've done hikes/camping/rafting in Pa. also.
- Active members find this a very rewarding group experience. Good, clean fun! PLEASE RESPECT INTERPERSONAL BOUNDARIES/PRIVACY!!!!!
- As always, any member can post! For hikes, the person who posts is not expected to be an expert on that particular hike. Please feel free to post a hike you think looks good, one you have always wanted to do, even if you’ve never been there yourself-we love adventures. For hikes, the only requirement is that you must be certain the location is open/accessible, and appropriate for a two hour+ hike –generally 4-6 miles. You can feel free to post longer hikes as well. Please post a good address/GPS/ or directions.
More than one hike for the same day. If you aren’t able to travel to a hike, go ahead and post one closer to you. It's easy to post just follow the cues (begin with red icon on left side pg.)follow the prompts.
- If you don’t know how to post/ aren’t comfortable posting, no problem. Let Pat, or another regular member know and we will post it for you. Feel free to make suggestions for other activities/venues as well. That's what makes it interesting!!!
- Other activities have been wineries, camping, kayaking, bicycling, dinner-touring downtowns, festivals (including First Night Events), concerts, baseball games, comedy shows, movies, rafting the Lehigh River, flower gardens, Grounds for Sculpture, laser tag, planetariums. Will do fireworks. Planning to do a dinner cruise around Manhattan/go to art museums/museums, see a NY Castle etc.
- Most importantly, we are an easy going, flexible group. Again, NO CRITICS/OR ANY OTHER FORMS OF AGRESSION- PLEASE!!! If we get lost on a hike, no problem – we’ll figure it out together. If the hike/activity is a bust, no problem-we’ll go to lunch and have a good time anyway. We’re primarily getting together for the friendship, fun, exercise and of course the laughs.
- Please do "NOT" rsvp NO if not attending an event, only if you plan on attending. But if you did rsvp-you are expected to attend (barring unforseen circumstances)and if you did rsvp and can't make it change your rsvp-so we can get a true headcount at the activity site/and allow wait-listers to take your place. THIS GOES ESPECIALLY FOR ACTIVITIES WHERE # ATTENDEES IS LIMITED/where you should let us know as much in advance as possible. Don't hesitate to join us-we look forward to meeting you !! You'll feel immediately comfortable!
Pat Medallis (Organizer)/Shannon (Co-organizer)
*MOST OF ALL THANKS TO ANYONE FOR "ANY" EFFORT EXTENDED ON THE GROUP'S BEHALF!!
p.s. very occasionally members can bring married guests