addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

New Jersey Divorce Support Group Message Board › Professional Services - Discuss and Post

Professional Services - Discuss and Post

Michael
user 29244112
Somerville, NJ
Post #: 6
MICHAEL BOLTON, ESQ.

I’ve been practicing in the areas of Elder Law, Estate Planning and Probate Litigation for more than 20 years.

Contact me to discuss creating or updating a Will, Durable Power of Attorney, Living Will or Medicaid plan for in home, assisted living or nursing home care, challenging a Will that may be invalid, compelling a Trustee, Executor or Power of Attorney to account for their actions, contesting Administration of an Estate, protecting a loved one from Exploitation or Neglect or filing an Estate or Guardianship action.

If coming to my office is a hardship, I can visit you or your loved one in their home, in the hospital or in a nursing home.

Michael

(908) 575-8646
318 Miller Ave.
Branchburg, New Jersey

Liza
LizaB
Scotch Plains, NJ
Post #: 4
Debra and I were discussing a situation regarding a "motion". can anyone tell us how to file a motion when you're soon to be ex is not paying for the rent as he is supposed to?? what are the options?

I went to the Union County Courthouse in Elizabeth when I wanted to file a motion to re-instate alimony. The clerk gave me the necessary paper work and told me about a place where I could get free legal assistance to complete the form. The legal assistance was provided by local attorneys who volunteer their time at the center on a very limited, schedule, but all you need to do is go there during the scheduled hours and they will sit down and help you fill out the form properly. When you bring the completed form to back to the clerk you must bring 7 copies of it, and $35.

So if you have a divorce already, or any kind of legally binding agreement, I would strongly recommend filing a motion yourself rather than paying a lawyer hundreds of dollars or thousands of dollars.
A former member
Post #: 18
This message goes out to everyone in the group. Some of you have seen my handy work at my home during the last BBQ so with that said I am offering my services to the group. There is nothing I can't build or repair in and around a house. I would like to help out our members with their to do lists around the house.

I have to admit that being charged $350.00 to give me an ESTIMATE on some repairs on my new home was a bit EXCESSIVE. I have never paid anyone for an estimate before in my life Scott. We are all in this group to offer help to one another. If you were short on cash, would gladly have paid for gas to get to the home for the estimate, and I know gas prices have gone up, but $350.00 ... Really excessive. Just want others to BEWARE! DEBRA
A former member
Post #: 3
This message goes out to everyone in the group. Some of you have seen my handy work at my home during the last BBQ so with that said I am offering my services to the group. There is nothing I can't build or repair in and around a house. I would like to help out our members with their to do lists around the house.

I have to admit that being charged $350.00 to give me an ESTIMATE on some repairs on my new home was a bit EXCESSIVE. I have never paid anyone for an estimate before in my life Scott. We are all in this group to offer help to one another. If you were short on cash, would gladly have paid for gas to get to the home for the estimate, and I know gas prices have gone up, but $350.00 ... Really excessive. Just want others to BEWARE! DEBRA

Debra, I have family living down in this area for 25 years.... I know and can recommend people that are local... plumbers, handymen, contractors...etc.. if you are looking for someone shoot me an e-mail
Mike
Miriam
user 15305721
Keyport, NJ
Post #: 6
Debra, I so sorry to hear about this. I'm with Mike. I don't know if you were told there would be a fee for getting an estimate. But all my estimates were free and they were from everyone that did repairs for me especially contractors. You could have used the $350.00 for a permit. So if they say there's a fee, say no thanks and keep calling.
Mark B.
user 55473972
Princeton, NJ
Post #: 1

Hi Debra.
We met at The Stony Brook Grill last week.
Your post about being charged $350 for an estimate really struck a nerve with me.
I'm a landscaper/hardscaper and never have I charged for an estimate/quote.
Times are tough right now and I'm really having to scramble just like a lot of other folks out here but just the thought of charging for estimates makes me cringe.
If it was something other than an 'estimate' such as a consultation where it was known in advance that there would be a charge?.....sure. I'd agree with that. I charge for some design work but that's different from 'estimating'. Some people will levy a charge like this if they are reasonably sure that they are not going to get the work so that they can take the non-payment (hoping you didn't pay it) and take it as a write-off on their taxes.

All that being said.....here's MY pitch (grin) Feel free to drop me a note in here if you're interested in gardening, patio/walks/walls, patio cleaning & sealing, landscaping, single plantings, drainage and grading, grounds maintenance (not mowing). I'm not the cheapest guy on the planet but I am very-very good and you won't be charged for an estimate. If you simply have horticultural questions we can absolute chat on the phone. Oh!......and members of this group ABSOLUTELY get discounts.
A former member
Post #: 11
I am absolutely shocked and outraged that a member of this group would take advantage of another person in this manner. I have been through major home renovations countless times over the years, often requiring multiple estimates because the specs changed for things like construction, carpentry work, handyman repairs, landscaping services, etc. and have NEVER been charged for an estimate, nor has anyone I know.

We all make mistakes and I think whoever did this should apologize for any misunderstandings and reimburse Deborah immediately for the wildly excessive "ESTIMATE". This was not right.
A former member
Post #: 25
This message goes out to all the members in the group. This was not simply an estimate that was given. Debra asked me to reinspect her home that she was about to purchase as she was not satifisfied with the home inspector that she hired and paid for. I met her Realtor at the house in Tinton Falls and spent about 1.5 hours at the home inspecting the entire list of items that the original inspector looked at. I took notes during the inspection and then spoke to the realtor outside the house when we were finished. I then put together an itemized list of the items that needed to be addressed prior to her actually purchasing the home.

She spent over 500.00 dollars for the first inspection and I reduced my fee accordingly as I didn't need to spend as much time as the original inspector did. I also included an estimate to repair the items that were on the original inspection report as she wanted to have the sellers pay for those items or reduce the price. I did not inflate the price as she did not tell me that she wanted to have the sellers reduce the price accordingly.

I also advised her that I would take two hundred dollars off the estimates for the bathroom repair, porch repair and window repair if the work was given to me.

What she actually paid for was a home inspection and not an estimate. I have never charged anyone for an estimate and never will. I have charged below the market price for my services and always will as I know the situation we are all in.

Her realtor even said how impressed she was with my attention to detail and how professional I was in inspecting the house in the manner that I did.

Debra, I am sorry that you feel this way but you were charged for a thorough home inspection and not an estimate. I was not going to say anything but everyone needs to know the real story.

Thanks to all of you for listening, Scot
A former member
Post #: 26
This message goes out to all the members in the group. This was not simply an estimate that was given. Debra asked me to reinspect her home that she was about to purchase as she was not satifisfied with the home inspector that she hired and paid for. I met her Realtor at the house in Tinton Falls and spent about 1.5 hours at the home inspecting the entire list of items that the original inspector looked at. I took notes during the inspection and then spoke to the realtor outside the house when we were finished. I then put together an itemized list of the items that needed to be addressed prior to her actually purchasing the home.

She spent over 500.00 dollars for the first inspection and I reduced my fee accordingly as I didn't need to spend as much time as the original inspector did. I also included an estimate to repair the items that were on the original inspection report as she wanted to have the sellers pay for those items or reduce the price. I did not inflate the price as she did not tell me that she wanted to have the sellers reduce the price accordingly.

I also advised her that I would take two hundred dollars off the estimates for the bathroom repair, porch repair and window repair if the work was given to me.

What she actually paid for was a home inspection and not an estimate. I have never charged anyone for an estimate and never will. I have charged below the market price for my services and always will as I know the situation we are all in.

Her realtor even said how impressed she was with my attention to detail and how professional I was in inspecting the house in the manner that I did.

Debra, I am sorry that you feel this way but you were charged for a thorough home inspection and not an estimate. I was not going to say anything but everyone needs to know the real story.

A former member
Post #: 27