The Netherlands Adventurers Meetup Message Board › The 7th one - Ultimate adventure of your life!

The 7th one - Ultimate adventure of your life!

Venkat
svenkat
Group Organizer
Amsterdam, NL
Post #: 26

The map:

Got it? Yes, a cruise to the 7th continent. Cruises typically start from Ushuaia in the southern tip of Argentina. Note that none of the touristic cruises take you to the inlands - all of them just touch the Antarctican peninsula! There are two popular routes. See map.

• A round trip covering Falkland Island, South Georgia and the Antarctican peninsula (approx 25 days)
  • Just to the peninsula and back (approx 10 days)

Two main things to consider:
1. Cost: The roundtrip from Amsterdam for the 10 day cruise might cost something in the range of ~ EUR 5000. Yes, a looooot! But then, this is once in a lifetime :)
2. Sea sickness: Unless you are accustomed to be out in the sea for long, everybody WILL be seasick. But don't worry, with necessary precautions, it can be easily fought.

There are tons of info on Internet, especially on LonelyPlanet.com, on how to plan a trip to Antarctica.

And some amazing pics:

The best season to visit is the southern hemisphere summer of course: Dec - Feb! If anyone's interested, we can start planning! Please leave your comments below!
A former member
Post #: 2
One of my bucket list items, but not for this year. In the middle of buying an apartment in A'dam so money focus is elsewhere. Dohh!!!!
Adriana
user 6884291
Den Haag, NL
Post #: 4
I have been to Patagonia, up to Ushuaia, and YES I highly reccommend doing this beter than the boat, in the boat there is not much to see and to do like in Land. In Land you can also see the pinguins in Punta Arenas. I did a 10 days hiking excursion and I was in the whole Tierra del Fuego... it was the best vacation I had ever;)
Adriana
user 6884291
Den Haag, NL
Post #: 5
ah! and forgot to say... is cheaper (you'll need around 3000 Euros though)...
Venkat
svenkat
Group Organizer
Amsterdam, NL
Post #: 27
@Adriana: I guess you mean the cruise itself? Don't we have to consider the flight fares to Ushuaia and hotel stays couple of days before/after the trip, special clothing to buy for the trip etc?

Anyway, can you recommend a good cruise operator?
Mattymorris
Mattymorris
Amsterdam, NL
Post #: 1
Too costly for me I'm afraid...I have looked at this sort of thing before, and often they are booked a year or two in advance.

Have you considered a trip to Svalbard in the arctic circle as a cheaper alternative?

I'm organizing a trip to the Himalayas for September for 3 weeks, If we need some more people. I'll put an add up here.
Adriana
user 6884291
Den Haag, NL
Post #: 6
@ Venkat, it's around 3000 in total.

When I went to patagonia I used Gap Adventures tour operator and I did this trip:
http://www.gapadventu...­
It does not contain a boat trip to Antarctica.

Note that the tour only costs 1900 Euros, it does not include meals, but includes lodging and all transportations. Transportation inland are one local flight (from Buenos Aires to El Calafate) and several public buses (they organize it all for you), on top of this you'll need to include the flight Amsterdam - Buenos Aires.

Accomodations are regular (not 5 stars hotels) and only 3 days in tents (camping in Torres del Paine) which is the BEST CAMPING EXPERIENCE ever.

Best time of the year to go is between December and February (their Summer).

If you need more info don't hesitate to ask. Browse the pictures in my albums in Facebook (I have an album which name is "Patagonia").

Cheers
Adriana.