align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Netherlands Adventurers Meetup Message Board › Before we hit the water: Safety Rules

Before we hit the water: Safety Rules

Joanna
user 11261585
Bristol, GB
Hi All,

Many thanks for your response to the afterwork surf classes :-)

I know that in the Hague we do this pretty much all the time - it never occurred to me that this doesn't happen elsewhere until a member suggested it and of course as always it only takes one person to step forward 

1. Listen to the instructor or suffer the consequences!

Any surfing injury I have ever had was because I didn't listen to my instructors.

2. NEVER LET GO OF YOUR BOARD IN THE WATER! Until you are ON your board...

Always have at least one hand on your board! if I or the instructor ever see you do this - you be asked to leave the water we will go back on shore and you will have board safety training for 30mins, while everyone else is enjoying the water safely.  YES - IT'S THAT SERIOUS!

3. NEVER TUG ON THE LEASH, TREAT THE LEASH AS IT IT DOESN'T EXIST AND REMAIN IN CONTROL OF THE BOARD AT ALL TIMES.  Google "jack o'neill eye accident" .

4. Pay attention to your surroundings.

Accidents happen when you don't pay attention to your surroundings ie incoming waves or other surfers in the water, the surfer closest the crest will ALWAYS have right of way, so if you are in his/her path ...guess who's at fault ...

Learning to surf is fun but please don't forget that Surfing is an extreme sport! it's fun, as long as you remember safety first

That's it - all that remains for me to say is - Surf's up Dudes ;-)

Joanna