booze n' books group NOLA Message Board › New Meetup: Wet your Whistle and Toast the City!

New Meetup: Wet your Whistle and Toast the City!

Lorraine L.
user 6527877
Group Organizer
New Orleans, LA
Announcing a new Meetup for booze n' books group NOLA!

What: Wet your Whistle and Toast the City!
When: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 7:00 PM

Where: The Columns Hotel
3811 St. Charles Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70115

Let’s meet at The Columns Hotel for your preferred beverage and discuss our May book selection: Nine Lives by Dan Baum. This “is a multivoiced biography of a dazzling, surreal, and imperiled city, told through the lives of nine unforgettable characters and bracketed by two epic storms: Hurricane Betsy, which transformed New Orleans in the 1960s, and Hurricane Katrina, which nearly destroyed it. Dan Baum brings this kaleidoscopic portrait to life, showing us what was lost in the storm and what remains to be saved… These nine lives are windows into every strata of one of the most complex and fascinating cities in the world… But it is New Orleans herself—perpetually whistling past the graveyard—that is the story’s real heroine.”
http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9780385523202-0­

Nine Lives is available used and new online and as an ebook. I will check with Maple Street Bookstore to see if you can buy it there with a discount. You can also find it in both the New Orleans and Jefferson Public Libraries.

I am looking forward to a great time discussing Nine Lives. See you soon!

Lorraine

P.S. If enough of you tell me you'd prefer to meet May 31, I am happy to change the date!

Check it out!