NOVA Atheists Message Board › Has anyone else’s Facebook feed gone crazy over the last few days?

Has anyone else’s Facebook feed gone crazy over the last few days?

TravisW
user 36728042
Ashburn, VA
Post #: 1
Greetings, fellow infidels! I haven't come around much lately but I hope to get back to some events again soon. I thought I would share with you folks a recent Facebook experience of mine and I'd be interested to hear similar stories from you all.

I have a brother-in-law named John who is studying apologetics at Liberty University. Now obviously we don’t exactly see eye-to-eye on damn near anything but our conversations have always stayed cordial as we’ve pretty much avoided in depth conversations.

In the wake of the Newtown shooting John’s been parroting some pro-gun talking points and while I personally found the posts annoying I stayed out of it. That is, at least until I came across this post by one of John’s friends.

Jacob: As a consistent atheist would say, "these are bags of cells bumping into other bags of cells." as an inconsistent atheist would say,"and that's wrong because it causes pain." God be with those families and the shooter now knows the eternal consequences of his evil actions.

Even though I don’t know Jacob I was compelled to respond and point out how outrageous his comment was. John somewhat came to Jacob’s defense and added a little offense himself by questioning how atheists could even have morals. In a separate post John would also insinuate I needed to find Jesus. We had a little more back and forth that came to a screeching halt when John’s dad, David, got involved.

David: j know crazy,as some of you know,if you want to look a the root of the problem go back to the 60's ohare,aclu,liberal fed. courts,were have all the nut houses gone,when you are certified you lose ALL your rights ,no nut houses no certifications ,crazy on the loose.

It took me a little while to decode what David was trying to say but I eventually understood this to mean that as an atheist I should be sent off to an institution where I wouldn’t have any rights and therefore no legal standing to question his Christian privileges. How does somebody respond to that? I am unable to understand how demented someone can be to even think that let alone say it to a person they barely know. I decided not to press the issue any further largely because I wouldn’t have appreciated John getting into a flame war with my family members. Besides my wife was already concerned I was staring a family feud.

John has a brother that later made one additional post to the thread that basically ignored the last fifty years of constitutional law and blamed all of America’s ills on being a godless society. Sadly, a number of other friends and family have made similar posts, several of which have included a few of Gov. Huckabee’s misguided statements.

Anyone else been having fun on Facebook lately? I might have another story to share if I can find the posts.
Kelly B.
user 7294163
Sterling, VA
Post #: 2
You can't reason with narrow minded people. This tragedy has definitely stirred up the religious people onto their FB soapboxes.
Stephanie R.
user 13412633
Leesburg, VA
Travis - come join us when you can. A little dose of rationality helps (I think...). We're going to try to do a meetup next Thursday at Travinia's if you can't make tonight.
TravisW
user 36728042
Ashburn, VA
Thanks Stephanie, I was hoping to make it tonight but predictably I had to work late. Unfortunately I will be out of town next week but at least I won't be spending the holidays with my brother-in-law.

Another highlight of my weekend was responding to an aunt's post about how Christmas is for celebrating the birth of Jesus and everyone should celebrate it in that spirit and never say Happy Holidays. I really enjoyed giving her the response below.

Me: This is exactly why I say Happy Holidays or nothing at all. If people insist that Christmas is purely a religious holiday then I'm not going to mislead someone into thinking I'm in for that. If they see it as more of a cultural holiday then that's great, fine, whatever, I can deal with Christmas. But why must I be compelled to say Merry Christmas for someone else's benefit? I try not to take offense to someone telling me Merry Christmas at the store but if you're a cashier and don't know me personally why should you assume you know what holidays I celebrate?
Perhaps I should run around saying, "It's George Washington's Birthday and not President's Day. I don't care if you like Lincoln you better give thanks to Him, the big G."