addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

NOVA Atheists Message Board › UU Inauguration Ball

UU Inauguration Ball

Andrea
AndreaInVA
Leesburg, VA
Post #: 1,052
Someone was asking about this a while back - the UU Church in DC is having one, details below. I didn't wade into the fray when people were discussing UU on here, but was a member for many years and heavily involved in the Arlington UU. The only reason I'm not any longer is that we moved, and I got lazy ;-) But I will echo what others have said - it is a very liberal and open community. I think it 's actually somewhat of a stretch to call it a "church" - and the services range from simple reflections on life, earth, nature, to whatever gripping social issues might be in the news at the moment. Good intellectual discussions usually, and I would guess that a majority of UUs consider themselves humanists (and I never can describe the difference between humanist and athiest... ?) anyhow - I'm sure people from this group would find many like-minded individuals at a UU congregation.

here's the info on the inaugural ball:

Sun., Jan. 20. Cocktail reception: 6:00 pm; Dance: 7:00 pm.
Inauguration weekend is almost here! Come celebrate all the hard work of the election and rededicate ourselves to the challenges ahead. Tickets on sale in Pierce Hall every Sunday after both services or online (click on image above). We have a range of ticket prices to accommodate all budgets and group discounts are available. $75 - dance only ($50 for students/fixed income). $100 - cocktail reception and dance. You can also come free if you volunteer for a three-hour shift during the ball!
Let's dance our way into a brighter future!
• Music by Northeast Corridor
• Beer by ChurchKey
• Great food and drink
• Astonishing decorations
• Celebratory dress—however you want to interpret that
• Multigenerational fun, with supervised activities for your kids (sign up for Unity Ball Childcare).
Buy your tickets now and help us plan for the crowd. You must buy reception tickets in advance, but party tickets will be available at the door.
Tickets are on sale online by clicking on the image above or in Pierce Hall every Sunday after both services.
• Cocktail reception and dance: $100
• Dance only: $75 ($50: fixed income/students; kids 6–13: $20; 5 and under: free).
• Sponsors ($250 and up) will receive a package of tickets
• Volunteers who sign up for a three-hour shift (Unity Ball Volunteer Sign Up) get in free!
All proceeds benefit All Souls ministries.