NOVA Atheists Message Board › Quarterly? NOVA/Beltway Atheist Meetings in Loudoun County Government Center

Quarterly? NOVA/Beltway Atheist Meetings in Loudoun County Government Center

Eric
user 90423132
Louisville, CO
Post #: 1
Loudoun County is so charitable that it offers the Board Room to any 501c3 that puts in this request form:

http://www.loudoun.go...­

It's a conference room that seats 200 folks. Maybe I'm wrong, but it might be nice to set up quarterly (or more often) public meetings for both Beltway Atheists and/or NOVA Atheists to get together and maybe:

- have a guest speaker
- have a nice, friendly moderated debate with some of our local religious officials and Rick Wingrove
- just catch everyone up on news in the atheist community, share new info
- invite new people to come to a public space to talk to an atheist

The applications for use of the room are required one week to three months before meetings take place and Loudoun County Board of Supervisors has priority when it comes to using the room (so they can bump us if they need the room for a BoS meeting).

Does anyone else think it's high time to start being much more public? I think so. Anyone else? Any help in coordinating an optimal date is highly appreciated. Also, anyone who's familiar with setting up debates and/or coordinating general gatherings should contact me and we'll work with Rick/Ellen/Larry/Stephanie/Alysen to get this all set up.
Eric
user 90423132
Louisville, CO
Post #: 2
http://www.loudoun.go...­

That's the fair use policy of the government facilities... the important bit:

"Use of Facilities and Grounds
Equal Access – This policy shall apply to all groups and individuals that have requested
use of County facilities and grounds. No group or individual shall be excluded from
equal access to County facilities or grounds because of considerations of sex, race,
religious or political persuasions or views.
However, use may be denied or terminated if
there is a violation of the rules set forth in this policy and/or if the use poses health or
safety risks."
Lydia
lydiarice
Sterling, VA
Post #: 1
I love this idea. I think that science talks or even debates would be interesting. If we can plan far enough in advance, we could get the posting in the local papers. We need to start with a speaker list and nail down dates first. I'm happy to work on this with you.