This class will show you where to get started with using Mongo, Nova Lab’s totally awesome 100-watt CO2 laser cutter !
This class will explain:
- Basic laser cutting concepts such as speed, power, and cutting modes.
- Vector graphics concepts such as stroke and color and using them to program the laser.
- Software Packages: Inkscape and LaserCut and how they are used in the laser cutter workflow.
- How to use the Test Cards to determine proper speed/power settings.
To familiarize you with the entire workflow, you will be taken step by step through the process of how to define basic shapes in Inkscape and then send them to the Laser Cutter. Other topics like the Rotational Tool attachment, used for etching cylindrial objects will also be discussed.
- You should be familiar with basic PC concepts like cut and paste, and how to use a mouse to drag, drop, and copy files.
Some experience with any vector graphics program will be helpful but is not mandatory. A laptop loaded with Inkscape (it’s free) - http://inkscape.org/, would be ideal, but is also not mandatory.
· This class should not be confused with the mandatory laser safety class, Laser 101, which must be taken prior to using the Laser Cutter. Laser 102 is NOT mandatory. You may take the 2 classes in any order.