NOVA Makers Message Board › Looking for a workshop with a LARGE CNC machine

Looking for a workshop with a LARGE CNC machine

A former member
Post #: 2
Looking to have either 4'X2'X3/4" panels or 4'X8'X3/4" panels cut by a cnc machine. I have the path files and materials, just don't know of a place that has a machine that large.
EBo
user 52709442
Albuquerque, NM
Post #: 1
are you looking to operate a machine, or have it done for you? Doing a quick search (meaning that I grabed the first thing that looked like it might be useful) I found that there is a FabLab in Baltamore that sppear to have a ShopBot. If you poke around and look for ShopBot and CNC routers in your prefered area, that might pop up something for you.

Also, there are several of us that are building potentially suitable machines (depending on your material and needed accuracy/precision). So, tell us more about what you are planning.
Russell
user 50451042
Goldvein, VA
Post #: 3
One of our guys has a smaller CNC router, but it's only like 2' x 3' or so. I'm trying to collect some garage door openers to make a truly gargantuan machine, but it'll be awhile before I have everything.
EBo
user 52709442
Albuquerque, NM
Post #: 3
"garage door openers "? Not sure I follow...

When you are ready let me know and I might have some electronics to let you test. They will be configured for EMC2 mostly.
Russell
user 50451042
Goldvein, VA
Post #: 6
Using the chain drive style garage door opener instead of a stepper and belt. I'd have to add feedback pots to then to use as servos. With those for drive and door rails for slides, you could make a machine 12-16' square.
Brian J.
user 14651064
Reston, VA
Post #: 2
There is a CNC router at Nova Labs, I don't remember the capacity - 2X3 or 2X4.
A former member
Post #: 4
I'm cutting 2'X4'X3/4" MDF boards. I have DXF files for the toolpaths. The cnc at nova labs, according to Ted, has an effective cutting area of 18"X48", which is just shy of what I would need.
A former member
Post #: 5
The accuracy I'm looking for is passable to the naked eye. I am building arcade cabinets and I usually do it by hand with a circular saw and router, but figured using a cnc would speed up the process quite a bit.
Ted M.
tmarkson
Herndon, VA
Post #: 6
I'm cutting 2'X4'X3/4" MDF boards. I have DXF files for the toolpaths. The cnc at nova labs, according to Ted, has an effective cutting area of 18"X48", which is just shy of what I would need.

We can discuss it tonight at the prototype class. The machine will handle a 2' x 4' board but there's a cutting margin due to its head size. Bring your toolpaths tonight and we can check sizing.
Russell
user 50451042
Goldvein, VA
Post #: 8
Somebody sent me an email a few days ago about setting up a large machine based on this thread, but I lost it. Whoever it was, hit me back.