NOVA hikes and brews. Message Board › Prince William Forest Park - Saturday Feb 22nd

Prince William Forest Park - Saturday Feb 22nd

Jim
user 110684772
Haymarket, VA
Hey everyone.  I scouted this hike today and want to let you know that the trail is wet and muddy in many areas.  It is the result of melting snow.  The mid-day rain tomorrow should melt most of the remaining snow and I expect the trail will be somewhat drier on Saturday than it was today.  I just want to be sure that everyone has the proper footwear.  I highly recommend hiking boots (waterproof is better) as opposed to sneakers.  And please, bring enough to drink.  Everyone is different but 2 liters is about standard for a hike like this.
I have updated our estimated time to complete this hike.  It could take us 6-7 hours (including the lunch break) but that is dependent upon the conditioning of the group.  This is not flat terrain by any means and there is a lot of elevation change (although no killer hills to negotiate).  It is a13.5-mile long intermediate hike.
We will begin the hike 9:30 AM at the visitor center parking lot on Park Entrance Road.  Turn onto Park Entrance Road from Rt 619 (Joplin Road) and proceed straight for 1/2 mile.  You will see the visitor center parking lot on your left.
Temps are forecast to be in the high 50s and it should be a sunny day.  Please text me at 703-991-3061 if you are running late.  Thanks!