addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

NW Home Gardening Message Board › Pollinators

Pollinators

Ed
user 7065469
Portland, OR
Post #: 4
I've posted some pictures of some pollinators taken in early June 2011 around the garden. In addition to Mason bees, which do much of the early work, there are other solitary bees (cuckoo, miner) and bee mimics (hover flies) that aid in pollination. In my experience, these all tend to be quite docile but could still pose a risk to individuals with reactions to bee stings. Anybody have any great native/ non-native pollinator plants to recommend?

Bee info at: http://bugguide.net/n...­

susan
user 8375858
Troutdale, OR
Post #: 5
My mason bees love Oregon Grape and Pieris shrubs. Both of these plants start to flower about the time the mason bees come out. Oregon Grape berries are also very popular with the birds, especially robins who are my favorite.
Ed
user 7065469
Portland, OR
Post #: 5
Our Oregon Grape (m.nervosa) has huge flower heads but nothing is open currently; instead, the mason bees flock to the Edgeworthia by the front door. The Rosemary is also throwing blossoms now that both the mason and honey bees are finding irresistible.
Kathleen C.
user 10784971
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 7
Ed, where did you post the pictures, I'd enjoy looking at them.

Thanks,

Kathleen
Ed
user 7065469
Portland, OR
Post #: 6
They are under Photos under the NW Home Gardening banner, just to the left of Discussions. I should have mentioned that... Hope you enjoy them and add some of your own favorites.