addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

NW Home Gardening Message Board › Rain Barrels for Us :)

Rain Barrels for Us :)

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 23
Hi all, I have been getting a variety of reclaimed 55 gallons PE barrels, modified to harvest rain.

If you didn't know, I'm an Environmental Engineer who worked in Watershed Management for years, and support rain harvesting for the following reasons:
1. reduce your water bill & get city credits (who doesn't like more money?)
2. enhance watershed health by reducing your water load into our sewer system
3. decrease public spending on water treatment before AND after your barrels!
etc etc

Write me if you're interested.
Best,
Chris

Here is more info:
The City of Portland's Downspout Disconnection Program had been operational for several years,
but unfortunately ended on June 30, 2011.

It had offered homeowners a $53 direct reimbursement for disconnecting the vertical downspout --
so that rainwater run-off from your rooftop can flow into a 55-gallon, plastic barrel (instead of into the sewer).

However, the Bureau of Environmental Services will still offer you the ongoing possibility of a "CleanRivers" reward --
if you simply disconnect your downspout from pouring the rainfall down the drain.
You would accordingly deter rainwater from your roof-gutters from adding to the overburdened sewer-system during heavy downpours.

The City of Portland may reward you with an ongoing discount on your City water-bill.
This is not a one-time reimbursement, but rather a continuous discount from your periodic sewer-charges.

The usage of rain barrels conserves water which would otherwise have gone down the drain (as well as unnecessarily adding to sewerage overflow).

The City of Portland administers this program of the Bureau of Environmental Services
See the website at: www.CleanRiverRewards.com

Phone the Clean River Rewards hotline at (503) 823-1371 for detailed registration-information and eligibility-requirements.
susan
user 8375858
Troutdale, OR
Post #: 6
Hi Chris -
Where do you get the 55 gal rain barrels? I've seen many fancier ones but they're at least $100 each.
Also, do you know of any local places that sell the larger plastic cisterns for a somewhat reasonable price? Thanks
Sandra B.
user 17447221
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
My husband got 4 100-gallon cistern/rain barrels (without my permission!), which I decided we have no room for - you can have them for $40 for each, they are green and on stilts for water pressure. If you're interested email me for a photo, thanks! -sandra
sandrabao@gmail.com