NW Wilderness Message Board › Snowshoeing

Snowshoeing

A former member
Post #: 1
Is any one interested in snowshoeing this winter?
Chatchay Ramone de...
user 40358372
Portland, OR
Yes I am.
PJ
user 40797182
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 5
Yes...new to it, so the first couple hikes I would prefer on-trail wide trail vs. off-trail.
Brenda B.
user 8705845
Beaverton, OR
Very interested, but I haven't tried it before. No time like the present!
Susan
user 11692521
Portland, OR
Post #: 51
Snow shoeing is fun and easy! There are plenty of places to rent shoes on the way to the mountain or here in town if you're new to it.

I'm also down for some x-c and ski touring. Let it snow!

-Susan
Pogo M.
user 12132884
Portland, OR
Post #: 10
Yes, yes, yes. Count me in! Snowshoeing is a lot of work though!
Rick L. J.
user 10833570
Newberg, OR
Post #: 117
It is fun and easy. Renting may be the best bet for your test runs. I bought some used ones but now see that backcountry style would have been a better choice.

So try it, see if you like it and then consider what type you may want if your interested in buying your own.

Dave put on some great off trail trips last year, I hope he will do a few this winter. I did 3 but with my other group. We will see what the leaders will offer up this season.

I do want to add that , its usually considered about 1.5 x harder than walking. So a 4 mile snowshoe is considered to be the same as a 6 mile hike. Trail conditions such as wet snow, ups and downs and just plain blustery weather can make it much more difficult!
Chatchay Ramone de...
user 40358372
Portland, OR
Post #: 2
Rick- thanks for the input.
Nicholas
user 14119005
Portland, OR
Post #: 23
I will schedule at least a few of them this winter and probably a snowshoe backpack or two.
Robert R.
user 13548142
Vancouver, WA
Count me in too. Something new to learn and keep me busy for the winter.