This Meetup is cancelled

OVERNIGHT SNOWSHOE CAMP, Barlow Pass / Twin Lakes Loop

  • to

  • Private residence

    to be determined, Portland, OR (map)

    45.509327 -122.692993

  • We will park at the Barlow Pass parking area, snowshoe past the Upper Twin Lake and camp out on Saturday night at the Lower Twin Lake. Then on Sunday we will warm up with some hot food of your choosing, and break camp. We will make a loop out by snowshoeing to where the trail junctions with the Pacific Crest Trail. From there we will hike back to Barlow Pass.http://www.nwhiker.com/MHNFHike41.html

    Those that want to can take off and explore the lower lake, doing the loop around it before coming back to camp.  We did this as a night hike before retiring to our tents last year. 

    DISTANCE: 10 mile loop.
    ELEVATION GAIN (approx):650 feet. PACE: 1 - 2 MPH snowshoeing speed.
    DIFFICULTY RATING: Moderate; snowshoeing due to distance, challenging; camping.
    ESTIMATED TRAIL TIME: Two days.
    PERMITS: Oregon Sno-Park Pass (November 1 – April 30)
    DRIVE DISTANCE: About 120 miles round trip. (At 10 cents/mile that equals about $12 / person for gas.

    Things you should bring on this trip:

    • An adventurous spirit/Food

    • Snowshoes and Poles

    • Extra socks and gloves/Food

    • A sense of humor

    • Extra clothes/Food

    • Warm stuff/Stove for Food

    • Food/Water

    • A book to read in the tent,

    • The 10 essentials and Winter backpacking gear. REI has a good winter backpacking rundown at: http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/winter-camping.html

    This event is limited to experienced snow campers only who have proper gear. Weather expectation is for snow and temps are expected to be around 20 degrees. You never know what Mother Nature may really have in store for us, so like the Boy Scout motto say's, "BE PREPARED".

    PARTICIPATE AT YOUR OWN RISK; Northwest Wilderness Group organizers are volunteers. We come prepared to lead you on a trail or off trail hike but assume no liability for your safety getting to or from the trail-head or on the hike. In case of accident, illness, or other incapacity, hikers must pay for their own medical and/or evacuation expenses, whether or not the hiker has specifically authorized them.

    The Organizer has the right to deny anyone from attending this event who does not answer the questions, or who might be deemed not ready for this type of event.

Join or login to comment.

  • Carolyn H.

    Hey. Anyone know how the snow is looking up there? How are the conditions? Is the trip a 'go' this time? :)

    January 18, 2014

    • sarah c.

      We just got back. There is snow, but it was melting rapidly today. Bare spots near trailhead. Up to 18 inches of snow at the thickest parts on trail.

      January 18, 2014

  • sarah c.

    Iey, I am going to be doing this same thing at the same time! See you up there!

    January 13, 2014

  • Rick L. J.

    We came back from mt Raineer. Didn't seem that far away to me. Hmm

    January 1, 2014

  • Keith

    Thanks for moving it, Robert. I was thinking I would have to mount a set of wheels on my pulk!

    1 · December 30, 2013

    • Robert R.

      We still may have to yet.

      December 30, 2013

    • Carolyn H.

      Wouldn't that be sad? No snow in January. What a winter.

      December 31, 2013

  • Dave

    Sorry gang. The new dates conflict with a XC ski class I'm taking. Have fun!

    December 22, 2013

  • Pogo M.

    I'm super sorry, but I have ski lessons during those new dates. I'm really sad to miss this. :(

    December 22, 2013

  • Robert R.

    From the people that I have heard from so far, the consensus is to move this trek to a future date. I have changed the date to Jan 25-26 as that is the soonest that I will have an available weekend. I'm sure that by then we should have plenty of snow. I will leave everyone on the list that is there now, but if you can't make these dates then please remove yourself.

    Robert

    December 3, 2013

    • Carolyn H.

      Thanks for rescheduling (as opposed to cancelling)! Those new dates work for me! Still excited to go! Carolyn.

      December 3, 2013

    • dennis

      I agree with Carolyn - thanks for rescheduling rather than cancelling. The last weekend in January also works for me.

      December 3, 2013

  • dennis

    I'm in agreement with the others: I'm willing to wait for more snow. I'm more fond of snow camping than cold-weather / ice camping. I've never made a snow cave or an igloo. If there's more snow and time allows for it during the outing, fresh snow would provide more of an opportunity to try it out. Maybe late December or early January?

    December 2, 2013

  • Robert R.

    PJ and I were up at Barlow Pass yesterday and hiked to Palmateer Point. There is snow, but we used micro spikes as the snow was too solid for snowshoes. I'm hoping that within the next two weeks we will see more snow accumulation. If not, we can keep the list of people now on the campout and schedule for a later date, or just hike in and camp in the cold :-)

    November 23, 2013

    • Carolyn H.

      Definitely would love to reschedule if the snow doesn't fly soon enough to make this trip.

      November 24, 2013

    • Benson L.

      Thanks for checking snow condition. Sign me in for later day

      December 2, 2013

  • Katya

    I'm so sorry for flaking out, something serious happened, can't come.

    December 1, 2013

    • Benson L.

      It is more fun if more snow. I will go either way but prefer later with more snow.

      1 · December 1, 2013

    • Pogo M.

      I'd rather wait for more snow. :(

      1 · December 1, 2013

  • Carolyn H.

    Is there a date at which we'll say Yea or Nay? The forecast I just looked at isn't too snowy. We might want to try for later in the season.

    November 28, 2013

    • Robert R.

      We'll wait a few more days before deciding if it's go or no go. Temps though may scare some off with the night temps in the single digits only and daytime highs in the low 20's. New snow looks good for the first part of the week then it will freeze for the rest.

      November 29, 2013

  • Chatchay Ramone de la M.

    Sorry. Things came up. Be safe and have fun. Prochaine fois mon amis. Merci tout le monde.

    November 29, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    please text me if there is an opening - even last minute.
    I can drive and have room for three others. I also have spare snowshoes and a sno-pass

    November 21, 2013

    • A former member
      A former member

      [masked]

      November 21, 2013

  • Rick L. J.

    Is there any snow in the forecasts. I don't see any snow yet.

    November 11, 2013

  • Robert R.

    Linda, you are a studette!!!

    November 7, 2013

    • Pogo M.

      Ha, ha, ha!!! :) Thanks for humoring me, but that's only true in my alternate reality!

      November 8, 2013

  • dennis

    Really looking forward to the snow camping!

    November 7, 2013

  • B.G

    yeah!! open the RSVP soon.

    November 2, 2013

  • Rick L. J.

    Time to get the sleds out , have you thought about any lookout trips?

    November 2, 2013

Cancelled

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Imagine having a community behind you

Get started Learn more
Rafaël

We just grab a coffee and speak French. Some people have been coming every week for months... it creates a kind of warmth to the group.

Rafaël, started French Conversation Group

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy