NW Wilderness Message Board › winter camping interest, lookouts and isolated cabins

winter camping interest, lookouts and isolated cabins

Rick L. J.
user 10833570
Newberg, OR
Post #: 122
I wanted to ask if there is any interest in Snow camping into Look outs or isolated cabins. Its something I have been looking into after PJ gave me the idea.

There is a fee involved to stay in these locations from 60-90 bucks per night shared cost. woodstoves or propane are in a lot of these sites. Group size is limited to 4 or more unless some are willing to tent camp at least for the sleeping part. Never larger than 8 people I would think.

I am looking for short snowshoe or ski in locations of about 3-6 miles one way. Should not have to bring much more than a sleeping bag and food for these outings.

If your interested please reply and I will put together something later. Thanks
B.G
user 31283902
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 4
Is it similar to what Cascade Huts? I'm interested.
Rick L. J.
user 10833570
Newberg, OR
Post #: 123
Like I said i am looking into it, What is Cascade Huts? You can help me here I think. Did you mention tha your off for a 3 day camp out. Wow
Keith
user 8440718
Portland, OR
Post #: 7
Rick, there are some Forest Service fire lookouts available for rent. Here's a story about one on Mt. Hood, http://www.oregonlive...­. I'll see what I can find out about this one and others.
B.G
user 31283902
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 5
Rick, Cascadehuts is a company which offers cabins to rent in the Mt.Hood area. On the Christmas weekend 3 hikers had to be rescued and were heading towards one of the hut in Barlow pass.

I'm going on a 2 night 3 day Backpacking trip on The Deschutes River trail.

@Keith, forest lookout towers will be awesome.
Rune
user 2364738
Portland, OR
Post #: 30
I would like to do a winter hut trip. Wednesday and Thursday are the only days that reliably work for me, so I often have trouble matching other people's schedules, but if that works, count me in. I am headed to Kings Canyon right now, but I will be back after the 11th.
PJ
user 40797182
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 8
The following link lists U.S. lookouts for rent. Scroll down to Oregon......Mt. Hood has 3, i.e. Clear Lake Butte, Five Mile Butte, and Flag Point. The details are here: http://www.oddinns.co...­
Cyndy L.
user 8585519
Irving, TX
Post #: 1
I'm interested, thanks! I was at Barlow Pass last weekend, tons of fresh new snow.
Elsie
user 11520200
Portland, OR
Post #: 41
Apologies if someone mentioned this already, but there are Nordic Club shelters throughout OR that are free and on a first-come-first-serve basis. They have wood-burning stoves, sleeping lofts or areas, and are stocked with wood and tools for the winter. I've only been to the Maiden Peak shelter, but it was very nice and had a fantastic time. Unfortunately, I don't have a link for more information.
Rick L. J.
user 10833570
Newberg, OR
Post #: 126
Elsie, I know of the Maiden Peak place, I have seen trip reports on it on the PDX.Org site. Never new it was a Nordic club site though. thanks.