NY HTML5 User Group Message Board › Any specific HTML5 questions?

Any specific HTML5 questions?

Frank G.
fgreco
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 5
Anyone have any HTML5 questions, issues or concerns?
Gil V.
user 12283553
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Hi Frank really appreciate your taking the bull by the horns and presenting this to us. They say no question is a stupid one, but here goes mine... :)

I have been a print designer for a long time and have been discouraged by web design limitations in the past, but by getting my feet wet with Jquery and CSS, and oh do I love DIV tags.. I am getting the feeling that HTML5 is going to strip away some of the old school of web design. Is this so, and could HTML5 bring a new breed of designers into the playing field?
Frank G.
fgreco
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Post #: 6
Hi Frank really appreciate your taking the bull by the horns and presenting this to us. They say no question is a stupid one, but here goes mine... :)

I have been a print designer for a long time and have been discouraged by web design limitations in the past, but by getting my feet wet with Jquery and CSS, and oh do I love DIV tags.. I am getting the feeling that HTML5 is going to strip away some of the old school of web design. Is this so, and could HTML5 bring a new breed of designers into the playing field?

Hi Gil,

Imho, web design is about to morph. Not tomorrow or the next day, but over time. It will be less and less about designing web sites, and more and more about designing web applications. The wave of stuff that HTML5 brings is not just some new markup tags, but a collection of programmatic interfaces to add very sophisticated user interfaces, high-end 2D/3D graphics, device integration, databases, offline capabilities and most interestingly to me, a fat pipe over the web (ie, an alternative to HTTP and reverse-AJAX awkward hacks).

It won't be about page design, but more about the user-experience. Certainly the graphic designers will still be needed as usual, but the *web designers" will now have to understand HCI (human computer interface) principles more in depth than before. But this is a cool thing for both sides of the glass... the user will have better net-connected software to use and the web designers will have a bigger universe to sell their expertise.

Also note the web is now a mobile web. The iPhone/iPad/Android/RIM devices are only the start. Flexible displays are right around the corner. Energy-efficient multicore processors with graphics capabilities are starting to migrate to mobile. Chip-level accelerometers and gyroscopes are getting cheaper and cheaper so applications will be able to sense x/y/z movement of the device itself.

Its not a document-centric web anymore.

Frank G
Gil V.
user 12283553
New York, NY
Post #: 2
Frank 100% on the target on what you said... After reading how you presented this, makes me think that our perception of website vs. web application is really going to meld into each other and in a sense both terms will all fuse into what we are going to see as the goal of what HCI was supposed to be in the first place.