|Sent on:||Saturday, September 28, 2013 12:16 PM|
Hope you're enjoying the weekend. Lots of cool things to announce this week, along with the fact that this meetup hit 1000 members last week!
0) Many of you asked for the speaker slides from the last meetup - well, here they are. Enjoy! Our next meetup date will be on October 24th, and we'll be announcing shortly.
1) Are you thinking of applying to the R/GA connected devices accelerator? Have you applied and want to learn more? Come meet folks from R/GA and Techstars at an open house they are hosting on Oct 1st. You can reserve here: http://rgaaccelerator.eventbrite.com/
2) There's a lot of noise around Drones lately (see what I just did there), which just went a notch up with the recent announcement of Chris Anderson's company 3D Robotics raising $30M. If you want to learn more, a Drone conference is being held at NYU from Oct 11-13th with some pretty amazing speakers. Get 30% off admission with discount code MAKEDARC30
3) As the SEC allowed last Monday startups to solicit investment (part of the new JOBS act), both 3rd Ward a NY institution focused on education and leasing space and equipment around crafts and making, and TechShop (no description required) started their solicitation process for crowdfunding. At the moment, this is only limited to accredited investors, but I think it's the start of something big and is a flavor of what's to come. Check it out, and support if you can!
4) Finally, I wanted to give a shout out to a very cool initiative, having a stack overflow for hardware and digital fabrication. It's a Q&A site, similar to what software folks use, but at the moment it's trapped in its trial mode, so we need to get more users to have it become official. Please check it out here, and use it!
Keep on building!