NY Hardware Start-up Message Board › Announcements and interesting resources!

Announcements and interesting resources!

Haytham E.
user 12592642
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Hey folks!

I hope you're all doing well. I just wanted to send you a few announcements with some things that are happening in our hardware ecosystem.

• First of all, we're not alone! There is a SF Hardware Startup Group, a Toronto­ group and most recently a DC­ group. This is becoming quite a movement, so tell your friends in those cities!
  • Given that there is no hacker news type site for hardware startups, Nick Pinkston, founder of the SF group created a reddit, r/HWStartups­. There are over 400 members in a week and it aggregates some pretty amazing stories. Now with the @HWStartups­ Twitter bot broadcasting the feed.
  • Nick has also started a Hardware StackOverflow so that everyone with questions on design, prototyping, manufacturing, etc. can learn from each other - ask/answer some hardware questions! Nick, you're my hero.
  • If you have a startup or know of any hardware resources that could be useful for the community, remember to put them on this google doc here­. Some of you have written to me asking to distribute job opportunities. I added a "Jobs" tab to the google doc. If you're hiring put up the job description, and if you're looking for a job, take a look!
  • I recently attended an awesome event at a meetup called Makeit-NYC run by our very own Jonathan Hirschman. If you're a maker type, then you may want to check out their meetup page­. In his own words:

"MakeIt is a general show-and-tell for physical things that you've made, where Makers can talk about their projects, how they created, what resources they've discovered, and what they've learned along the way. Pick up tips about selling, licensing, designing, manufacturing or Kickstarting your project. Or just brag about your cool new thing! MakerIt is about showing off, learning, and asking about the "How" in How-To. Anyone who's interested in Making Things - inventors, designers, hobbyists, engineers, amateurs, the self-taught and the mavens alike - should join us."

I'll soon shoot out an email with some dates for the next meetup. Till then, keep building!

Cheers,

Haytham