NY Hardware Start-up Message Board › Follow up!

Follow up!

Haytham E.
user 12592642
Group Organizer
New York, NY
Last. Night. Was. Awesome.

Really, it was - I enjoyed the pitches, the audience feedback and the fact that the questions were just flying. This is a great community and I feel really privileged to be a part of it!

Just following up from last night, here are some notices:

• Let's show some love to our sponsors Make Simply and help them fill out their survey about hardware startups. It will take you 3 minutes: makesimp.ly/survey
  • So you're tired of trying to find someone who can help you make a PCB? We got you covered! Together with the rowdy folks at MakeItNYC­, we are launching a class on designing and making Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs) using Surface Mount technology (SMT). The target cost is $150-$200, which includes everything - parts, tools, supplies, instruction; and no experience of electronics is required. We'll run you through circuit design, manufacture and assembly, and by the end of it, you'll have your own Arduino clone! If you have interest in the class, please take a moment to answer the three questions on the form­ - it should literally take you a minute or two. We'll then get in touch with the details.

• Bolt pitched last night their awesome program, so go ahead and apply to become that lucky 1%! We also had some NY Top Maker participants try to get your support for the public vote finalist. TrafficCOM­ pitched their low cost open data traffic counter. ALPHI­ showed their concept for a wifi-blutooth home speaker system. Sounder­ showed natural amplification by design without a milliwatt of energy. And finally we had two awesome startups pitch their wares: I Heart Engineering showed us their soon-to-be-bar-tender TurtleBot, and BrightLot­ gave us a sneak peak of their new product the JumpDrive (they just need a corrupt mechanic to hack into the car's OBD...)
  • As I mentioned, I want us to start a mailing list where we can blast out announcements, job descriptions if you're hiring, questions about anything hardware related, feedback on your product or Kickstarter video, or whatever pearls of wisdom you feel compelled to share. I was thinking of using google groups but it requires me to add members manually (not gonna happen) and the custom lists on meetup are not great either. Anyone has an idea on the best way to do this? I think it would be an awesome resource.
  • Finally, given the groans and sweat from last night's meetup, I think we can safely conclude we have completely outgrown our venue. Next month we will be at NYC Alley, an awesome place, but if anyone knows of a venue where we can fit 100+ people and which is free, please let me know.

Boomshakalaka,

Haytham