NY Hardware Start-up Message Board › Last 2 hours to support Squink, 50% off Makercon and jobs, jobs, jobs!
New York, NY
I hope you enjoyed the previous meetup – what a fantastic speaker lineup. You can check out Kogeto, Dash, SOLS and there are only two hours left for you to support Squink, a desktop PCB machine, on Kickstarter. Let’s help them get over the funding threshold!
Events, Competitions and crowdfunding Campaigns!
1) The folks at Makercon have been kind enough to offer a 50% discount to the HW meetup to attend the MakerCon conference on September 17th-18th. The speaker line up looks amazing. To get your discount, go to their registration page and use the code MAKERS.
2) Applications to the World2NYC Smart and Sustainable Cities Challenge this Friday August 22nd. If you have an idea or startup in that space, you should check it out!
3) The Economic Development Corporation of New York is supporting NYC’s Next Top Maker competition, with a deadline of September 3rd for you to apply. Finalists get a bunch of cash, 12 months of studio space and incredible amount of support and mentorship for your startup. Go ahead and apply!
4) Another community member is launching a crowdfunding campaign. This time it’s Lars Piwkowski with his product the Oval, a system that gives you alerts about, well, almost everything. Check out the campaign and support!
1) Are you interested in being the technical director of one of the few hardware focused startup incubators in the city? The Zahn Center, is looking for a director to help mentor and advise startups mostly building physical products – the center is affiliated to the City College of New York. It’s an awesome job helping incredibly talented startup entrepreneurs go from ideation all the way to market launch. Job description is here – apply soon!
2) If you have a technical background, a great way to get involved with the Techstars R/GA Connected Device accelerator is to become a hackstar, that work with the startup companies as they go through the Techstars program. They are looking for an Electrical Engineering hackstar, a Mechanical Engineering hackstar and a firmware engineer hackstar. It’s basically a chance to get an amazing experience, broaden your network in ways you could never imagine, get exposure to some of the greatest up and coming companies and teams in the country. Historically, most Hackstars end up being offered jobs and/or equity in one of the companies.