NY TECH Ping Pong Message Board › Frequently Asked Questions (Rules, Tournament Play, Game Tickets)

Frequently Asked Questions (Rules, Tournament Play, Game Tickets)

Larry
user 30968252
Group Organizer
Palo Alto, CA

Frequently Asked Questions

What time does the event get started?
Open Play starts at 2pm and Tournament Play starts at 3:00pm. The Sweet Sixteen should get started around 4:30pm.

Where is the tournament?
Slate Plus in New York City (54 W. 21st St). Doors open at 1:45pm.

Do I need to bring anything?
Just your A+ game! Paddles and ping pong balls will be provided by Slate Plus. If you have your own paddle, feel free to bring her along.

What should I expect when I arrive?
Upon arrival and registration, you will be given a NY Tech Ping Pong wristband and two game tickets for Tournament Play. The ping pong tables are downstairs at the venue and you will see other competing players with the NY Tech Ping Pong wristbands.

Can I bring my friends to watch?
Absolutely! Friends are free to come and watch. To play in the Open and Tournament, however, they will need a NY Tech Ping Pong wristband. Registration and payment can be purchased at the venue or online for $20: http://www.newyorkneedsyou.org/help/ny-tech-ping-pong­

What are the rules of play?
The ping pong games are to 11 (win by 2). Players take turns serving after every 5th serve. If both players reach a score of 10, then each successive serve is alternated between the players. No palming on serve is allowed. Players keep score and report the win record on the scoreboard. Winners stay on the table. Winners serve first on the next game.

What is Open Play?
Open Play consist of friendly ping pong matches between players. Anyone can play anyone. Win records are not kept. Game tickets are not required to play. Have fun and warm up for Tournament Play.

What is Tournament Play?
Tournament play is where the competition picks up and records are kept. As a player, your main goal is stack up as many wins as possible. You can gain wins in two ways:
1 - Winning games and staying on the table
2 - Dethroning someone from their table. If you beat the previous winner on his or her table, then that win is worth all of his or her previous consecutive wins at the table (It's similar to the show Highlander, but not as messy).

If someone dethrones me from my table, do my wins reset to zero?
No. You keep your wins. Example: If Steve won the previous six games but lost the most recent game to Mark, Steve keeps his original six wins while Mark gains six wins instead of one. We weight the scores because we want to reward people aiming to knock off the best at each table instead of shying away from the competition.

I still don't get it, what if Mark wins the next two games and loses the third, what's his score?
Ok, If Mark wins the next two games but then loses to Larry, Mark's total wins are eight (6+2) and Larry's win total is two. Larry stays on the table. Mark finds another table.

How do the game tickets work?
You have two game tickets to use as you wish. During Tournament Play, your goal is to stack up as many wins as possible and each game ticket allows you play at any table you wish.

What happens if I run out of game tickets?
You can purchase additional tickets from the event organizers who will be walking the floor. Each additional ticket is $10 dollars. Bring extra cash.

How do I make it to the Sweet Sixteen?
To make it to the Sweet Sixteen, you must be in the top field of play before we end the first round of the tournament at 4:15pm. Players with the most number of wins will make it into the Sweet Sixteen.

Do the rules change during the Sweet Sixteen and Finals?
The rules don't change, but every battle is a best of a 3-game series between two competing players. Players change sides of the table after each game. Game is to 11 (win by 2). Players take turns serving after every 5th serve. If both players reach a score of 10, then each successive serve is alternated between the players. No palming on serve is allowed. P.O.N.G. for serve.

What if I have more questions?
Feel free to message any of your questions to the event organizers directly and we will get back to you with answers promptly.