Nov 23, 2012 · 8:00 AM
This location is shown only to members
I've been wanting to do this for some time and 2012 seems to be the year to do it. I'm still in the research phase of the trip so details will begin to trickle in as we get close to the RSVP cut off date but having done some basic research, November is the best month to go either into the south rim and maybe in the inner gorge which is excruciatingly hot during the summer months. Given that this is Thanksgiving weekend, it may be the perfect time to schedule a week of to do this amazing trip!
As for planning, some things I do know:
- We will be hiking one of the more common trails as our own group. I want this to be enjoyable for all levels but the trip is geared primarily towards beginners/intermediates.
- Las Vegas is optional, not mandatory. It would be great to wrap up this trip with a drive to Vegas for a night or two before we head home however this will be based on the desires of the group.
- 11/23: Travel Day
- 11/24: Day 1 Grand Canyon Trek
- 11/25: Day 2 Grand Canyon Trek OPTIONAL
- 11/26: Day 3 Grand Canyon Trek (Those opting out of Day 2 will hike out of the park today and head back to airport)
- 11/27: Trek out of Grand Canyon
- 11/28: Travel Day - Las Vegas
- 11/29: Day 1 Las Vegas
- 11/30: Day 2 Las Vegas (Folks can travel home this day as well)
- 12/1: Travel to NYC - All
Complete itinerary is accessible via google docs-http://tinyurl.com/983aolu. Send me your email address if you'd like to view complete itinerary.
- $175 - Deposit for 2 nights at the Flagstaff hostel, transportation to/from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon, entry fee & permit.
- @$350 - R/T Airfare
- @$200 - For Grand Canyon including 3 nights/4 days of food, miscellaneous expenses.
- ?? - Las Vegas TBD
Fees do not include recommended equipment!
- 3 Season Tent (We will need to share tents so please be sure confirm in your RSVP if you need a tent or have a tent to share)
- Backpack (approx. 25lbs.-30lbs.)
- Sleeping bag (0 degree rating)
- Sleeping pad
- Trekking poles
- Micro spikes
- Polyester/synthetic hiking clothing - layers are recommended
- Hiking Boots
- Hat, Gloves
- 2 1 liter bottles or 2-3 liter camel bag for water
- Water purifying tablets or a water filter
- Food for 4 days/3 night
- Stove, pots, utensils (you could cook in the pit if you prefer)
*Recommended equipment could cost you approximately $700-$1000 depending on the quality you are looking for. Tents, sleeping bags, backpacks and sleeping pads can be rented if desired.
Disclaimer: You agree when you sign up that you are responsible for your own preparedness and well-being and will hold no one else liable in case of injury or mishap. You agree not to hold the Organizer, Assistant Organizers, or any other members responsible for any injuries, mishaps, or any other situation that may happen at a planned event. Your attendance to an event signifies that you have read and accept the terms of this liability waiver. The complete liability waiver can be found on the PAGES section of this meetup site.