NYC Codecademy Group Message Board › some initial observations on the group

some initial observations on the group

Ron
user 2536529
Toronto, ON
Post #: 2
I’m really pleased to see how much interest there is in learning how to code and I wanted to share with you some of my observations on this group so far, based on our answers to the profile questions . Out of the first 100-odd folks that joined:

~30% of us said we wanted to learn to build our own apps/websites
~25% of us expressed that we wanted to improve our code literacy in order to communicate/work more effectively with programmers
~30% of us said we wanted to learn or strengthen our coding skills for professional development and/or pursuing a career as a programmer

So, at the risk of taking too much liberty with interpreting our responses I think I can spot a few common themes:

1. It’s recognized that coding is a desirable career path and that improving coding skills is a good use of time
2. Many of us work with programmers as entrepreneurs or creative professionals, and learning some degree of coding is perceived as a way to help us do our jobs more effectively and have more control over our work.
3. Learning to build websites/apps is perceived as being accessible to those who don’t have formal training in a way that wasn’t the case in the past.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on this board. Don’t be shy!

-Ron