Sunday, December 21, 2008 1:36 PM
Thanks for joining NYC On The Cheap! I'm really impressed that we got so many members in the short time it's been up.
At the moment, I am considering possible restaurants and events for our first Meetup in January. It is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, January 20 at 7pm, but this may be subject to change depending on what good free or cheap events are scheduled for that particular week.
In terms of scheduling, I am fairly flexible, so the dates and times of events may take place on other weeknights or on the weekend, depending on what's out there. (Suggestions are welcome!)
To answer the question of why there is a charge to attend (the fee is on a per-event basis, so you will not be charged if you RSVP no):
1) We will be looking for really good cheap events and venues, but "cheap" doesn't always equal "free." Some really good inexpensive ones may still require an entry fee. The charge will cover the first $10 of that fee and any overage will be refunded to you. (You will be responsible for any balance due after the first $10.)
2) Some events may be charity events-the charges can be donated to the charity.
3) In some instances we may be able to get better deals on events and venues by means of the charges.
4) Unfortunately, the charge also represents earnest money that you plan to attend the event. I just closed another Meetup in which there was a serious problem with people who RSVPd yes but then no-showed. Because of limited space in many of NYC's best cheap restaurants and venues, it is probably going to be necessary to limit attendees to specified numbers of persons. Thus, the charge guarantees you a "reservation," so to speak.
5) Fees can be paid through PayPal to [address removed]. I will also take fees at the event in cash if you are not able to use PayPal (please let me know this in advance).
6) If you pay the fee but aren't able to attend the event, it will be refunded to you.
Once again, thanks to everyone who has joined, and keep your eyes peeled for the final announcement of our first Meetup meeting. I look forward to seeing all of you in person!