I've always believed in "Paying It Forward" and I know there are a lot of people in our group that want to do volunteer work assisting in the hurricane recovery and just want to know how... So to help spread the word and to assist others in connecting with each other to coordinate volunteer work on a regular basis, I decided to use the website to post regular volunteer events as a means to connect with fellow HOAGIES that are itching to do so.
The recovery will take a long time, so any help you can offer I'm sure will be appreciated by all. Are you able to assist in hurricane cleanup? Volunteer your nursing skills? Want to try hosting a volunteer event with some friends in your area? Staten Island is one of the most hard hit areas in NYC, so we will be teaming up with...
We will be doing clean up crew work so its going to be hard work. If you want a workout, and want to do some rewarding volunteer work with some cool people, I'd suggest coming!
For more information on our past volunteer event please read a members blog for a first hand account...
REBUILD STATEN ISLAND THURSDAY MEGA CLEANUP
Since we might have a large group, I'm hoping to head to this location and help clean up different areas with work crews. We will be going to some of the hardest hit properties to assist with demolition, hauling, bagging garbage, mopping, scrubbing mildew, re-packing belongings, and similar tasks. Please park in the giant parking lot at New Dorp Lane and Mill Rd.
After our experience with Rockaways, we found out that most of these areas are in dire need of cleaning supplies and tools to help with cleanup. We should try to bring our own cleaning supplies, tools, equipment or whatever might be necessary and consider possibly donating them after if possible. Please park in the giant parking lot at New Dorp Lane and Mill Rd.
- Location: Rebuild Staten Island 780 Olympia Blvd.
- Time: Saturday 9am-5pm, Please arrive no later than 2pm
- Please wear: warm winter outer clothes, work boots, heavy work gloves
- Please bring for yourself: your own lunch, snacks, water.
- Please bring for the day: N95 masks, hammers, shovels, mops,buckets, bleach, contractor trash bags, demo pry bar, utility knives, industrial push brooms, flashlight w/ batteries
- Also, if you have: chainsaw, cordless drill, cordless saw, etc.
- Please do NOT bring: anything of value, anything you don't want to get wet, big cameras.
- Please put your name large/clearly on all gear you wish to take home with you. Consider leaving gear in the community if possible.
- If you have organizing or skilled construction trades, please let us/onsite folks know
Public Transportation: From Manhattan we recommend taking the Staten Island Ferry at either 7 am or 730 am and from there taking the S78 bus down Hylan Blvd to Slater Blvd. and walking down three blocks to Olympia Blvd.
General Volunteer Info:
- Contact me if you would like to host a specific volunteer event through the website and gather a few troops and go as a group. I can make you a host and it will allow you to easier coordinate travel, time to meet, etc.
- If you see any volunteer work opportunities I might have missed or need to update on this recurring event, please feel free to contact me.
- Coastal areas in Breezy Point, Coney Island, Staten Island, Far Rockaway, LI and NJ were hard hit, so if you know of any volunteer opportunities in those areas, spread the word!