Aug 25, 2012 · 2:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
Aerial Tramway & Visitor Center
Roosevelt Island Map
Meeting Point: Small green space south to the Roosevelt Island Tram Station in Manhattan @ 59th Street and 2nd Ave.
Meetup Start: 2pm, tram departs at approximately 2:15pm.
Have you ever taken the Roosevelt Island Tramway? If not, now is your chance!
The Roosevelt Island Tramway is an aerial tramway that spans the East River, connecting Roosevelt Island to Manhattan. Each cabin fits about 110 people and travels for 3 minutes one way. At its peak it climbs to 250 ft (76m) above the East River, providing views of the East Side of Midtown Manhattan, Roosevelt Island and Queens. You can use any Metrocard to pay for the tramway; it’s the same amount as a single ride on the subway.
This Meetup will start with the tram ride from Manhattan to Roosevelt Island. First, we will visit the recently opened Southpoint Park before we head out to the island’s northern tip, location of a cute little Lighthouse. On our way, we will pass the Backwell House, the Chapel of the Good Shepherd and a Tom Otterness’ Sculpture, called “Marriage of Money and Real Estate”.
I recommend staying until the sun sets behind Manhattan and taking some night shots of the skyline. Sunset is at 7:38pm. The tramway runs until 3:30am.
For those who are afraid of heights or enclosed spaces, but would like to attend the Meetup on the island, you can take the F-train to the Roosevelt Island stop and walk 2 blocks south to the aerial tram station. There is a small Visitor Center, which is housed in an old subway entrance station, please wait there. Make sure you’ll be there at around 2:15pm so we can pick you up.
As always: please be on time. Give yourself enough time to travel and check the subway schedule & service notifications for that day. I will not wait for latecomers. Should you be late for any reason, you can always try to catch up with us following the route as described and shown above. The island is small and the group of photographers probably easy to spot. I expect to be at the Southpoint Park until 3:30pm and we will reach the Lighthouse probably around 4:30pm.
In case some of you feel exhausted from all that walking, there is a Red Bus line running across the island. The bus fare is 25 cents, but be aware that the largest bill accepted on the bus is only $1. So bring some coins!
• Bring your camera, charged batteries and empty storage cards. I recommend bringing a tripod if you want to take night shots of the skyline.
• Make sure you bring comfortable shoes and a sweater, in case you stay after sunset.
• Though there are some stores and restaurants on the island, I would recommend bringing something to drink and eat.
• Sunscreen, glasses, and hats are also recommended, hoping that the weather is going to be awesome!
• Please be courteous and update your RSVP accordingly. If you RSVP “yes” and you can’t make it, change your RSVP to “no”.
• If you have any questions, text me only before the day of the event. Please make sure you identify yourself in your message so I know who you are. Thank you!
I’m looking forward to seeing you soon and don’t forget to bring a smile with you as well