PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE DESCRIPTION!!
If you own a shoe flash and a DSLR, this workshop is for you. Ely will be teaching the basics on Flash Photography. Here are some issues that he’ll cover:
1- Size of light source
2- Why DMV pictures look terrible and how not to have your photos look that way
3- Why built in flash should ONLY be used for fill or catchlights
4- Balancing ambient verus flash: Theory
5- Some good ways to use on camera flash (bouncing, fill, etc)
6- Manual verus TTL flash when to use them
7- Getting your flash off your camera for a quick and easy one light portrait setup.
8- Light modifiers
The goal of this session is to move from the least desirable flash scenario (built in flash) to the most desriable (getting your hotshoe flash off of your camera).
- We will meet at Kettle of Fish, located at 59 Christopher Street in Manhattan. We’ll be somewhere at the back of the bar. The closest subway station is Christopher Street / Sheridan Square (1). Here is the bar’s website: http://kettleoffishnyc.com/
- Items that you must bring:
a. Your Camera -- make sure you charge your batteries and format your memory cards.
b. Your Camera's manual -- go through it and review how to set your Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO for this workshop. Bring it with you for reference.
c. Your shoe flash -- Highly recommended for this event.
d. Your shoe flash’s manual -- go through it and review how to set your flash in manual mode.
e. A diffuser -- if you have one.
- Note: We will NOT be teaching you how to use your camera or your shoe flash. There are too many models from too many manufacturers to know them all. We cannot stop the workshop mid-sentence to try and figure out your particular model. Please read your user manuals and/or bring it with you for reference.
- For those who are new to this group or did not attend this past summer's workshops, you may get lost or confused. But, please hold your questions until the end of the lesson. Ely will have a Q&A session after the lesson (ooh that rhymed… LOL!!).
- Be courteous by updating your RSVP accordingly. If you RSVP “yes” and you can’t make it, change your RSVP to “no”.
- IMPORTANT!! -- Be there at 6pm sharp to settle in. When you arrive, see me to pay a $5.00 non-refundable fee, and you also must purchase at least one drink from the bar. The lesson itself begins at 6:45PM, but do not be late! I will not answer my phone after 6pm. The event is approximately 2 hours long.
- Since seating is limited at the bar, the maximum people to RSVP is 25 with no waiting list, and this workshop is for members only. Sorry, no guests allowed. If you are not on the RSVP, do not “crash the party”. Check this page periodically for open spots.
- Please check in on this event page periodically for any updates or changes.
We are both looking forward to share this knowledge on Flash Photography. If you have any questions, send me an email or a text message before the day of the event. Please make sure you identify yourself in your message so I know who you are.
~ Sally 347.878.NYCP
** Disclaimer: Participation in this event requires that you assume all risks associated with these activities and that the Organizers are in no way liable for any loss or injury as a result of your participation. In other words, you are attending these events at your own risk!! **