UPDATE 4/17/13: The forecast for this event is 70% chance of rain. I will keep an eye on the weather and will send an email either the night before or the morning - whether or not this event will take place, or be re-scheduled. Thanks!
UPDATE 2/3/13: I have changed the date of this event from 3/24/13 to 4/20/13. If this change affects your plans to attend, please take a moment to update your RSVP.
It’s our third anniversary and any kind of camera can be used (DSLR, SLR, Point & Shoot, Cell Phones, Disposables, etc.)! This is a free and open event. We will meet at the 150 Eastern Parkway Entrance.
This year we’re going to try something a little different. We'll split up in smaller groups (or venture on your own if you wish) and shoot photos in color (since it is a garden filled with beautiful colors). But the challenge of the event – however you want to do it (with camera or post-processing) - is to take the same image and create a monochrome version of it - and put both images side by side when you post it to the album (see sample above).
The idea is to practice controlling your brightness and contrast on both images to see the similarities and differences from the two images. Try to get as much detail as possible. Those with macro lenses will have a bigger advantage when it comes to detail, but if you don’t have a macro lens – no worries. Just use the best camera or lens you have.
Thanks to Brooklyn Born and Ely for this wonderful idea!!
* This is not a contest - there is no prize! This is just to get you to think about the best way to compose your photographs and capture detail.
* General Admission to the Garden on Saturdays between 10am and 12noon is FREE, except on Saturdays with public programs such as Sakura Matsuri, Chile Pepper Fiesta, and Ghouls & Gourds. Otherwise, it's $10.
* There is a cafe and several restroom areas within the garden - I called and asked the operator...
* Nearest Subways:
to Eastern Parkway—Brooklyn Museum station
to Prospect Park station (The B train does not run on weekends)
to Franklin Avenue
* For additional information on transit, driving directions and parking, please visit the Garden's website.
* Photography: Tripods and easels are not permitted in the Conservatory, the Japanese Hill-and-Pond Garden, in flower beds, or blocking any Garden paths.
* Be on time! This event starts at 11am sharp!! So give yourself plenty of time to travel. Check for service changes or delays. I will not wait for latecomers and I will not answer calls and messages after 11am.
* There is a limit of 100 spots and no waiting list. You may bring one guest. Please do not ask me to squeeze you in or check on the list for an open spot for you. You can check on this event page periodically for an open spot. Please do not "crash the party".
* Please be courteous and change your RSVP accordingly. If you RSVP “yes” and cannot or will not make it, please change it to “no”, so that someone else who wants to go can sign up.
* Dress appropiately for the weather and wear comfortable shoes.
* Make sure you charge your batteries and bring your memory cards.
* Please visit the garden's website for any other additional information and policies.
* Details of this event can change at anytime. Please check in periodically for possible updates.
I hope you will join me. If you have any questions, send me an email or a text message before the day of the event. Please make sure you identify yourself in your message so I know who you are.
~ Sally 347.878.NYCP
** Disclaimer: Participation in this event requires that you assume all risks associated with these activities and that the Organizers and Hosts are in no way liable for any loss or injury as a result of your participation. In other words, you are attending these events at your own risk!! **