align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

NYC Pints 'n' Purls Message Board Yarn & Beer Sales › Good Cheap Yarn

Good Cheap Yarn

Alicia
user 10308034
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Hi everyone,
I'm new to crochet and I like to get some material. Where can I find good and cheap yarn in the city?

Thanks!
Sharmeen
Sharmeen
New York, NY
Post #: 6
Michaels on the Upper West Side has a decent selection of Caron Simply Soft, Vanna's Choice, Red Heart and Sugar N Cream cotton yarns. Just don't have high expectations on finding crochet/knitting accessories when you really need them. They do, however, carry a fair selection of beginner sets of hooks.

The Garment District also has some places that sell these brands of yarn, but they are usually over-priced. The same can be said of Knit-a-Way in Brooklyn [only go there if you desperately need a yarn because you are better off shopping around or ordering online]. Save-a-Thon might have yarns for cheap, I haven't been yet so I can't speak for that.

If you have any crochet questions don't hesitate to ask us :-)
judy f.
user 9308473
New York, NY
Post #: 21
more manhattan

as sharmeen said, save-a-thon on 105th or so and 3rd... has wide selection of caron simply soft; i've also gotten some nice discontinued deborah norville...and crochet thread. limited needles and notions behind the counter. good prices. atmosphere makes michael's look fancy

also manhattan.... p and s fabrics....broadway and, i think, franklin. lots of bernat, less lion brand than before...branching out to cascade and others. also sugar n cream and crochet thread. good prices. and extra 25-50 cents off per skein if pay cash. good assortment of needles and notions. also, sewing stuff.
closed saturdays...